Following news of his passing, the Steelers canceled their training camp practice at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, Pa., on Sunday and it's unknown whether they will resume practice on Monday.
Here is Rooney's full statement. A longtime National Football League and college assistant, he was the Arizona Cardinals' wide receivers coach for five years before joining Pittsburgh and held the same position with the Chicago Bears for nine seasons.
The NFL community mourns Darryl Drake, whose career spanned 4 decades as a player and a coach.
Drake is survived by his wife Sheila, three daughters and his grandchildren.
"I can't put into words the impact that Darryl had (on) me... he was my position coach for 5 years, and he's been one of the greatest mentors and friends in my life since we met".
"He was an unbelievable husband, father and grandfather, and it is hard to put into words the grief our entire team is going through right now", he said.
"I'm so thankful. I was able to spend time with him, got a picture with him", said Kevin Garver, the Bucs" receivers coach and an offensive assistant under Drake in Arizona from 2013-17. He played college football at Western Kentucky and later coached there. "We will use our faith to guide us and help his family throughout the hard time".
"Rip Coach Drake. So many good times and memories with you in AZ".
Steelers wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster tweeted Sunday that Drake was "my favorite coach that I've ever had in this game". "It won't be the same out there on the field, in meetings, and I'm gonna miss all those long talks we used to have".
The Cardinals issued a statement via social media as well.
"Any time you coach for 40 years, you impact a lot of lives", Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said Sunday at Cards training camp in Glendale.
- Norwegian police say mosque shooting is a terror attempt
- Ninja Left "Disgusted" After Twitch Accidentally Promotes Porn On His Old Channel
- How Eating Less Meat Could Help Protect the Planet From Climate Change
- Hong Kong airport shuts down amid pro-democracy protest
- Perseids meteor shower to peak Monday night with stunning FIREBALL displays
- China decries U.S. ban on Chinese firms as 'abuse of state power'
- Suspected shooter in Texas massacre said he was targeting 'Mexicans'
- Most Britons Back a No Deal Exit over Delaying or Cancelling Brexit
- Chelsea boss Frank Lampard frustrated after heavy loss at Manchester United
- Fans fume as VAR causes more controversy across the Premier League