More than five decades after his death, the remains of an American fighter pilot have finally returned home.
The obituary said his remains were being flown back to Texas by his son, Bryan Knight, a Southwest Airlines pilot.
Once the younger Knight learned that his father's remains had been found, he launched the process of repatriating them.
For one Southwest Airlines pilot flying from Oakland, California, to Dallas' Love Field Airport, it was the most important flight of his life. He now flies as a captain for Southwest Airlines.
"We came up with the idea of what if would it be possible, and it required both tremendous effort on the part of the Air Force and Southwest Airlines to make it happen", Knight said.
The site of his crash was first excavated in 1994 and revisited several times over the years.
"It was a real surreal experience for a little kid", Brian Knight said. He joined the US Air Force just days after his 17th birthday, following five older brothers who all served in World War Two. He became a fighter pilot, serving in Germany and France before returning home in 1963 to work as an instructor pilot.
The elder Knight was shot down May 19, 1967, during a mission in northern Laos.
Proskow, who works for Canada's Global News, captured the moment in a series of photographs and tweets. Proskow was on his way home from El Paso, where he'd been covering the deadly shooting that took place last weekend.
"It was peaceful, it was lovely and it was a privilege to watch", he added. These include severe injuries, post-traumatic stress disorder and health issues related to Agent Orange exposure.
Major Knight, who was posthumously promoted to colonel, is to be buried with military honors in Weatherford, Texas, on Saturday.
- Kacey Musgraves: Hacker 'Liked' Kid Rock's Vulgar Taylor Swift Tweet, Not Me
- Chase Lets Out Its Inner Canadian
- Five killed in rocket explosion on a naval test range in Russian Federation
- Ninja has a million subscribers on Mixer
- Destiny 2 cross-save support coming on August 21
- UK police probe cause of sore eyes, vomiting in seaside town
- Modern Warfare has the most DLC of any Call of Duty game
- Mohamed Salah scores and assists in Liverpool's Premier League opener
- Augmented Reality Gaming Market Rising Trends and Global Outlook 2019 to 202
- IDF Says Engaged in Shoot-Out With Armed Palestinian on Israeli-Gaza Border