West Nile Virus has been detected in multiple places Ada County.
Five new samples of mosquitoes collected from two different towns tested posted for EEE, a rare but potentially deadly disease, the Oswego County Health Department announced Wednesday.
Last year, the virus was detected in birds and a horse in the East Kootenays.
The case reported Thursday is the state's first this year.
According to a new report, West Nile Virus neuroinvasive disease incidence was almost 25 percent higher in 2018, as compared to the past ten years. All have the non-neuroinvasive form of the illness. Those most vulnerable to illness are people age 65 or older, physicians say. The virus was detected in 217 people, 501 birds and 1,963 mosquito samples previous year.
Around California, 43 birds and 1,371 mosquito samples have tested positive for the virus. This round of spraying will target the far North End of the city, including the areas surrounding the New Bedford Business Park, New Bedford Regional Airport, Sassaquin Pond, and Acushnet Avenue north of Phillips Avenue.
Schroeder said flooding in 2017 promoted the spread of West Nile.
Mosquitoes are known to carry a variety of maladies in other parts of the world, but Interior Health has issued a warning that the mosquito species most likely to carry the West Nile virus in our region is increasingly active during August.
When mosquito activity rises to a level considered risky for public health, Sacramento-Yolo mosquito district officials have conducted aerial spraying in the past. Other recommended repellents include: picaradin, lemon eucalyptus oil, para-menthane-diol or IR3535. Use mosquito repellent, district officials said, and be mindful that you may need to apply more over the course of an evening. At home, look for holes in screens or windows that allow pests to get indoors. Fix or replace screens with tears or holes. Once a week, empty and scrub, turn over, cover, or throw out containers that hold water, such as vases, pet water bowls, flowerpot saucers, discarded tires, buckets, pool covers, birdbaths, trash cans, and rain barrels.
- Global smartwatch shipments grow 44% in 2Q19, says Strategy Analytics
- Critical WhatsApp Flaw Lets Hackers Alter Text Messages; Not Fixed Fully
- New Pokémon Sword and Shield trailer shows off Galarian forms, Team Yell
- We don't want Neymar - Real Madrid fans give verdict in AS poll
- Hear Tool’s First New Song In 13 Years ‘Fear Inoculum’
- Mickey Arthur: Pakistan not renewing head coach's contract
- Super Typhoon Lekima barrels towards China
- Diabetic Iraqi man from Detroit dies after being deported to Iraq
- Pep Guardiola reveals how long Leroy Sané will be out for
- National Awards sees Vicky Kaushal and Ayushmann Khurrana share best actor award