"It feels good to be home", Omar said into a bullhorn at the airport, where she was greeted by dozens of supporters. "He's more of a narcissist than a racist".
"The point is, from Trump's point of view, you asked me if he's a racist".
Trump denounced the chant at the North Carolina rally, but scolded Rep. Ilhan Omar and the rest of the so-called "Squad" of progressive Democrats; chief White House correspondent John Roberts reports.
The media and Democratic politicians have excoriated the president, while even some Republicans have called out the tweets as being inappropriate. "I deeply disagree with the extreme left & have been disgusted by their tone".
McConnell says he agrees with Trump that Ocasio-Cortez and three other young congressional Democrats want to make the USA socialist. The president says when the chanting started he began speaking very quickly to silence it - but in fact he waited 12 seconds before saying anything.
Urging supporters to "ensure her voice is with us in Congress for a long time to come", Sanders requested donations to be made through the left-wing fundraising website ActBlue to "send a message that Trump's racism will not stand".
And at a rally on Wednesday, Trump attacked each congresswoman individually. She also tweeted a photo of herself presiding over the House chamber with the words: "I am where I belong, at the people's house and you're just gonna have to deal!" He had distanced himself Thursday from the chant (which was directed at Omar) but on Friday accused the media of showing a double standard in coverage. Omar on Thursday said Trump is using "fascist" rhetoric and told supporters she would continue to be Trump's "nightmare".
Omar's fans had been planning to celebrate her return ever since the controversy begain earlier this week. "There's a lot of talk about the fact that she was married to her brother". At the rally, Trump, whose own paternal name was said to be Drumpf, mocked the names of other Democrats, including Pete Buttigieg and Alexandra Ocasio Cortez.
- Trippier joins Atletico Madrid from Tottenham
- Alleged victims confront Jeffrey Epstein in court
- SDCC 2019: HBO's His Dark Materials Season 1 Trailer Premieres
- Barcelona Offer Six Players In Bid To Sign Neymar
- Challenges mount for Boris Johnson amid minister's signal on no-confidence vote
- Women are entitled to breastfeed in public under law
- Cambodia says garbage shipment came from US, Canada
- Prime Day Propels 68% Jump For Other Retailers 07/19/2019
- Facebook Still Leading Social Media Platform in 2019
- Mixed earnings at large United States banks as Fed rate cut looms