Maybin homered again with his roster spot in doubt, Edwin Encarnación went deep for his first hit with the Yankees and NY beat the Tampa Bay Rays 6-3 Tuesday night to extend its AL East lead to 2 1/2 games.
"I was so close".
Stanton and Judge will also be providing even more power to a lineup that has four other players who have hit at least 15 home runs this season, including Edwin Encarnacion, who was acquired by NY over the weekend. "The boys have been fun to watch while I've been gone, so it's going to be good to fall in and battle with them". Avisail Garcia singled home a run an inning later. What the Yankees really need is better starting pitching.
The slugger is beyond thrilled to be back after missing 68 games with a biceps injury that led to a shoulder issue and then a sore calf.
"It's been a long time", Stanton said.
"I tore my bicep muscle", he said. Barring a setback, he should be on pace to return this weekend when the Yankees play a four-game series against the Houston Astros, who are now tied with the Dodgers for the most wins in baseball.
Then, almost a month later, in an extended spring training session at the Yankees' complex in Tampa, Florida, he was hit by a pitch in his left knee. Stanton said Tuesday that the injury was a little more serious than a simple strain.
Stanton finally was fully healthy a few weeks ago, and he looked it homering five times in six recent rehab games with high-A Tampa and Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. "So we had to shut it down, get a cortisone shot, let that ease for a little bit". "It's just having the quickness and getting the barrel there". "So obviously the homers are the ultimate goal, but if I just squared up a couple of balls that's what I'm looking for".
The 29-year-old Stanton had 97 total home runs the previous two seasons.
"I don't look at that no different than it was tonight", Rays manager Kevin Cash said of the importance of facing the Yankees.
Encarnacion's first Yankees home run came with a custom home run call from radio announcer John Sterling, who declared it was "una celebracion for Edwin Encarnacion!" So no matter how physically ready (you are), once you get out there and start playing games you don't know how it's going to bounce back. "We have a lot of great players, but now it's got to go play out".
- Trump bombshell: Police think they know who was responsible for ambassador leak
- New 'Old Town Road' remix has Mason Ramsey, Young Thug, and animojis
- Facebook and CMU's poker AI beat five pros at once
- Barry Becomes a Hurricane, Barrels Toward Louisiana Coast
- First train carrying water for Chennai leaves Jolarpet
- China's Fosun Group confirms Thomas Cook rescue bid
- Oliver Jackson-Cohen to Star in ‘The Invisible Man’
- Funeral held for Beth Chapman of ‘Dog the Bounty Hunter’
- Amir Khan defeats Billy Dib to claim WBC worldwide welterweight title
- Alaphilippe reclaims yellow and Pinot impresses in French tour de force