So is the 6-2 6-2 Wimbledon triumph a bigger deal to Romanians than the Roland Garros win?
"It was an honour to play in front of her".
Halep weathered the squall, then reeled off the last five games of what she described as the match of her life.
"You never count her out". Every time she wins one more match helps. It also fulfilled a longtime promise. "It was my mum's dream when I was about 10", she said, smiling.
Yet when Halep finally wended her way through Wimbledon's burrows and corridors to catch up with her mother she found her too dumbstruck to speak.
"Now, you know, in my 20s - I'm always expected to win, but it's a different circumstance for me", she said. Just stop all this insanity because she is trying to be everything.
For tennis buffs, there is no more exciting event than the Wimbledon tournament in London, and for American tennis fans there is no more dynamic player than Serena Williams. I started to feel safe on court, which helped me a lot to believe. Already the French Open champion of previous year, she was never likely to be fazed by the occasion.
Simona Halep celebrates her first Wimbledon title after defeating Serena Williams in straight sets on Saturday.
"Seems like every Grand Slam final I'm in recently has been an unbelievable effort to get there". Because if you listen to him, you get the good things.
If she thought she could put down an early marker she was mistaken as three unforced errors in the opening game handed Halep an unexpected gift of an early break. Wimbledon was stunned, but not as half as much as Williams. Sometimes she doesn't move well, but she did today.' Nobody could argue with her speed after the phenomenal display that took down Serena Williams.
The pattern continued in the second set - with Halep's superior speed and waspish groundstrokes allowing her to get Williams's cannonballs back with interest until she had forced the error.
"It was a little bit "deer in the headlights" for me". "She's an inspiration for everyone". But I decided before the match that I'm going to focus on myself and on the final of grand slam, not on her.
"That's why I was able to play my best, to be relaxed, and to be able to be positive and confident against her. I will come for sure", she laughed.
"Someone told me I shouldn't look at the records anymore".
"I didn't think at all against who I play".
Then there was the brouhaha around the Duchess of Sussex watching her match on No 1 court and an exclusion zone set up around her in the members' area, to the chagrin of some.
- Angels throw combined no-hitter on night honoring Tyler Skaggs
- Irina Shayk's Bradley Cooper Post-Breakup Interview Is So Intriguing
- Trump Escalates Attacks on Social Media
- Xiaomi Mi A3 press renders emerge alongside detailed spec sheet
- Sudan activists call for ‘justice’ marches in wake of deal
- Serena Williams vs Simona Halep, Wimbledon 2019 women's final
- Angela Merkel sits during welcoming ceremony following third public shaking incident
- 'Star Trek' actress Stephanie Niznik dead at 52
- Missing 18-month-old boy's body found in landfill || Man charged, arrested
- Nigeria vs Algeria: What Samuel Chukwueze said about AFCON semi-final clash