Flights resumed after a search - numerous flights were delayed, and one diverted to nearby Manchester.
This drone sighting comes after disaster hit Gatwick Airport in December previous year when hundreds of flights were cancelled following reports of a drone close to the runway.
One woman wrote: 'So just about to take off when drone spotted so flight stopped! At least one flight, Eastern Airways flight E7601 from Southampton (SOU) to Leeds Bradford (LBA) diverted to Humberside (HUY) after holding in the LBA area for some time.
"Guess I could be sitting on this plane for a while".
Extinction Rebellion, who have threatened to fly drones at airports to stop planes from taking off, distanced themselves from the incident.
According to a spokesperson for the airport, the drone was spotted by a pilot on an inbound flight.
Flights to and from Leeds Bradford Airport in Northern England were held for almost an hour Friday afternoon following a drone sighting in the area.
The airport re-opened 45 minutes later.
Officials say they monitoring the situation and working with police.
Site highlights each day to your inbox.
- National Football League owners propose 18-game schedule with 16-game limit per player
- Robert Mueller & House Panels Finalize Deal To Delay Testimony Until July 24
- First train carrying water for Chennai leaves Jolarpet
- Hulu brings back 4K streaming to Apple TV and Chromecast Ultra
- Raimi thinks about unmade Spider-Man 4 'all the time'
- Amir Khan defeats Billy Dib to claim WBC worldwide welterweight title
- Gina Miller criticised for trying to 'derail' Brexit
- Scientists noticed an error in the new season of ‘Stranger Things’
- France's new green tax on air travel: will it be effective?
- Yankees Activate Giancarlo Stanton