The crossfire was further fueled after the panel's Democrats released a report on 2,648 of the children the Trump administration separated from their families previous year before abandoning that policy under widespread pressure.
During an interview on Huntsville, AL radio's WVNN, Rep. Gary Palmer (R-AL), the chairman of the House Republican Policy Committee, laid out how the rise of Ocasio-Cortez is problematic for Pelosi as a well-funded Ocasio-Cortez is recruiting candidates to primary Pelosi loyalists and sabotaging Pelosi-led legislative efforts.
Ocasio-Cortez replied, "No, no, absolutely not, absolutely not".
"But the persistent singling out ... it got to a point where it was just outright disrespectful ... the explicit singling out of newly elected women of color", she added.
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., the 29-year-old progressive icon, was among the four Democrats - all women - who testified.
Not particularly", she told The New Yorker Radio Hour, later adding that "the last time I kind of spoke to [Pelosi] one-on-one was when she asked me to join the Select Committee on Climate Change.
They were among a larger group of Democrats who visited Texas border facilities last week and returned reporting overloaded, fetid facilities and said detained women spoke of being told to drink from toilets and eat unhealthy food.
Pelosi herself reportedly responded to AOC's charge during a closed door meeting on Capitol Hill.
On Thursday, Pelosi "stood her ground", FoxNews.com reported.
Earlier, Pelosi had chastised the head of Ocasio-Cortez's congressional staff, Saikat Chakrabarti, for comparing moderate Democrats to segregationists.
Pelosi appeared to be trying to put the dispute behind her. "I'm not interested in substance-less Twitter spats", Chakrabarti said in a follow-up tweet. "This bill, it was a tough number for a lot of people, but what they were saying was: They wanted to have us unified".
"We are grateful that House members took this important step, which should be included in the final defense authorization bill". The diversity of it is a wonderful thing. Unity is our power.
Pelosi drew ire after a New York Times piece was published last Saturday, criticizing "the Squad" for voting against emergency border aid funding.
Pelosi said the House will soon work on one bill by Escobar tightening oversight of the Homeland Security Department and barring most family separations. And she accused corporate executives during a congressional hearing of caging children.
- Northeast Ohio measles patient has state's first confirmed case since 2017
- HBO Max is WarnerMedia's Netflix-competitor
- India, US agree to address mutual trade concerns
- Pakistan sacks judge accused of 'blackmail' in ex-PM Sharif case
- Suspending Parliament for no-deal Brexit will provoke crisis - Hammond
- Ryan Murphy Reveals American Horror Story: 1984 Characters
- Please think twice before Instagramming from this stunning Siberian ash pond
- Brazil's Bolsonaro offers his son the post of ambassador in Washington
- Start a new adventure in DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS 2!
- Tottenham fans react to hijacking interest in defender William Saliba