"Walking in the ash dump is like walking on a military training ground: risky and undesired", the company told local media in June.
"In the last week, our ash dump of the Novosibirsk TEZ-5 has become the star of social networks", it said.
Irina, a local who took photos by the pond last month, told Mashable via Instagram DM that while she didn't detect any odor at the scene, she'd never even consider getting in the water.
Some users joked about the taste of the water as "chalky" or "sweet", though it was not clear if they were being serious.
The liquid "has a high alkaline environment" with an elevated pH level, the company said, adding that the bottom of the lake is also "slimy", making it "probably impossible to get out of the reservoir on one's own".
Getting the flawless shot for the 'gram can be hard.
INSTAGRAMMERS have been flocking to take snaps by a handsome turquoise lake - despite officials warning it is toxic.
Millennials in Russian Federation are flocking to the so-called "Siberian Maldives" to strip down and snap gorgeous Instagram photos in front of the stunning turquoise waters of a woodland pond. Most Instagram posts published to this account show people near the water rather than in it, although some people have been seen in the water on paddle boards or pool floats.
This has not stopped people from flocking to the site to take photographs. "The next day, my legs turned slightly red and itched for about two days". Zheleznova said she saw people setting up "whole picnics by the lake" and "one man even bathed there".
"The dump is NOT poisonous: blue gulls do not fly there, and plants do not die". "Skin contact with such water may cause an allergic reaction!" The lake was created in the 1970s and is the largest of its kind in Siberia.
Another wrote that the power station's management had begun closing roads to the ash dump because of the "big flow of people from Novosibirsk" to the site.
- Start a new adventure in DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS 2!
- Somalia: blast, armed attack leaves 10 dead
- Twitter suffers widespread outage, shares down
- I won't complain about Wimbledon crowd - Djokovic
- Teen bomber kills at least five at eastern Afghanistan wedding
- Amazon Is Building a Voice-Controlled Robot That's Like a 'Mobile Alexa'
- Dwight Gooden arrested for drug possession in New Jersey
- Pence views overcrowded, bad-smelling facility for detained migrants in Texas
- Almost 500,000 people join Facebook event to 'storm' Area 51 in September
- Xi urges Trump to ease N Korea sanctions