"He's friends with Donald Trump's children".
"In my opinion, he can be the right person and could present the message perfectly in Washington", Brazil's right-wing leader told reporters in Brasilia on Thursday. "It is not nepotism, I would never do that", Mr Bolsonaro said on a live social media broadcast on Friday. His father said earlier that the appointment would hinge on his son's acceptance.
He called the move "unprecedented in the history of Brazilian diplomacy" and said he was "certain" the Brazilian Senate would not approve the nomination.
"It is a total scandal ... a flagrant case of nepotism that can not be accepted", Folha de Sao Paulo quoted opposition representative Randolfe Rodrigues as saying.
A 2008 Supreme Court decision prohibits Brazilian authorities from nominating close family members to official posts, but the ruling was vague and Bolsonaro's allies argue it doesn't apply in this case.
Eduardo, who has close ties to the USA far right, also pointed to his role as head of the Foreign Relations Committee as further evidence of his suitability for the job.
The congressman added he had already "fried hamburgers" in the United States and "improved my English" there, the daily Folha de Sao Paulo reported.
Mr Bolsonaro used to be elected final year after a a hit campaign he acknowledged had been inspired by Donald Trump.
Oliver Stuenkel, an worldwide relations professor at the Getulio Vargas Foundation University, says Eduardo Bolsonaro being USA ambassador would be indicative of the importance Bolsonaro gives to Brazil's relationship with Washington.
The position of ambassador has been vacant since April.
Eduardo Bolsonaro has been dubbed Brazil's "shadow worldwide minister" at the Brazilian global ministry attributable to the stable influence he has on his father's global policy suggestions, BBC Americas editor Candace Piette experiences.
- Start a new adventure in DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS 2!
- Suspending Parliament for no-deal Brexit will provoke crisis - Hammond
- Western countries rebuke China at UN for detention of Uighurs
- Facebook Still Leading Social Media Platform in 2019
- Jermaine Dupri Reacts To Backlash, Launched So So Def Female Cypher
- Pakistan sacks judge accused of 'blackmail' in ex-PM Sharif case
- Ryan Murphy Reveals American Horror Story: 1984 Characters
- Somalia: blast, armed attack leaves 10 dead
- Met Police Launch Criminal Investigation Into Ambassador 'Inept' Email Leak
- Northeast Ohio measles patient has state's first confirmed case since 2017