Given that as a running back this could be Gordon's one big multi-year extension, he doesn't want to risk losing that opportunity - if gets hurt without that safety net, it would likely affect any potential deal in 2020.
The star running back is set to enter the final year of his contract and is now set to earn roughly $5.6 million, which would make him the 13th-highest paid running back in the National Football League for 2019.
According to Gordon's agent Fletcher Smith, Gordon is dug in and discouraged with where talks stand at the moment.
In June, Gordon said he was looking for a new deal, sooner rather than later.
The Wisconsin product has led the Chargers in rushing in each of the last three seasons with an average of 996 rushing yards and 9.3 rushing touchdowns per season. "But that's not going to stop me from coming out here and doing what I need to do". "When it does, I'm pretty sure you guys will know".
Gordon, the No. 15 overall pick from the 2015 NFL Draft, is a two-time Pro Bowler.
The 26-year-old rushed for 885 yards and 10 touchdowns in 12 games last season, adding 490 yards and four touchdowns on 50 receptions.
- Royal security breach: Intruder breaks into Buckingham Palace while the Queen sleeps
- Japanese probe makes successful touchdown on asteroid
- 7-Eleven Day: How to get a free Slurpee on Thursday
- Labour Party crisis: Senior staff 'interfered' in anti-Semitism cases claims BBC Panorama
- Antarctic Glaciers Are Unstable, Can Slide Off Into Sea
- Viviani takes first Tour de France victory as Alaphilippe retains overall lead
- Bosco Martis shares an important message for Shahid Kapoor
- Lampard's Chelsea reign begins with draw
- Pet supply retailer recalling pig ears due to salmonella outbreak — CDC
- Pakistan minister calls former Indian skipper MS Dhoni match-fixer, biased cricketer