Parts of Southern Nevada, including the Las Vegas valley and Pahrump, felt the impact of the natural disaster.
Using sheets, blankets, and belts to tie it all together, Hatchett built a shelter for his wife and two kids, ages one and five, as they wait out the uncertainty of when another quake may hit.
The latest earthquakes have raised fears of when the next "big one" will hit California. The surface displacement caused by this temblor and its predecessor is clear in new images from Japan's Advanced Land Observing Satellite (ALOS-2) satellite. The first image was taken on April 8 a year ago and the next on July 8, 2019.
And the "noisy" areas in the northwest indicates where the ground surface was disturbed. Officials have estimated the damage to California may exceed $100 million.
President Trump announced Monday the approval of an emergency declaration for assistance in the towns affected by the recent earthquakes in the Ridgecrest area.
It's part of a sequence of earthquakes that began rippling across the region last week and was preceded, less than 36 hours earlier, by a magnitude 6.4 foreshock on July 4.
Planet Labs CEO Will Marshall's image also pointed out an area of dewatering, which occurs when water and sediment spews from the ground due to an earthquake's intense shaking action.
The natural disaster was followed the next evening by a 7.1 magnitude tremor in the Mojave Desert, which was felt as far as Phoenix and Mexico and caused damage in the surrounding areas.
The recommendations were provided by the Earthquake Country Alliance , a partner of the USGS.
- Facebook Still Leading Social Media Platform in 2019
- Dozens killed in Papua New Guinea tribal unrest
- Lady Gaga Announces Haus Laboratories Beauty Line
- France says Javelin missiles found in Libya were 'unusable': army ministry
- Asia shares cautious in case Powell closes rate door
- Pokemon Sword & Shield shows off new Pokemon & Gigantamaxing in latest trailer
- US central bank to study Facebook virtual currency
- ‘Unprecedented emergency’: S. Korean president warns of prolonged export row with Japan
- Appeals court dismisses emoluments lawsuit involving President Trump’s D.C. hotel
- Kim Darroch resigns as United Kingdom ambassador to U.S. after leaked Trump comment