His kidneys failed him on Sunday, Haynesworth said in the social media post. Here's his full statement on the matter from Haynesworth's heartbreaking Instagram post.
In the post, Haynesworth said, "Some of you may know I've been battling kidney disease for a few years now the time has come.I'm in dire need of a kidney".
"The bright side of this latest ordeal I can ask for help by asking for someone to generously donate a kidney", he wrote.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Ryan Smith has been suspended without pay for the first four games of the regular season for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancers. He spent his first seven seasons with the Titans, which included two Pro Bowl selections and two First Team All-Pro nods, before moving on to the Washington Redskins for two years.
Haynesworth, now 38, spent 10 years in the NFL after being a first-round pick by the Tennessee Titans in the 2002 NFL Draft.
Haynesworwth said, "If you are interested in giving this precious gift please call Vanderbilt at 615-936-0695". Considered one of the league's most disruptive players at the time, Haynesworth signed a record free agent contract to join the Washington Redskins, but struggled on recreate the same impact on the field - all while dealing with various off-field incidents.
In 2016, he revealed that he nearly died from two brain aneurysms in 2015 that led to an 11-day stay in an intensive care unit.
Haynesworth finished his career with 30 1/2 sacks, six forced fumbles and six fumble recoveries.
- Kanye West praised for turning $53M in debt into $1B Yeezy empire
- AT&T becomes first mobile service provider to automatically block robocalls
- Bosco Martis shares an important message for Shahid Kapoor
- Antarctic Glaciers Are Unstable, Can Slide Off Into Sea
- Lampard's Chelsea reign begins with draw
- Apple Starts Exporting iPhones Made in India to European Markets
- Train accident: PM Imran offers condolence to families of victims
- Royal security breach: Intruder breaks into Buckingham Palace while the Queen sleeps
- French Parliament Passes Tax Law on Tech Giants Amid US Investigation
- 7-Eleven Day: How to get a free Slurpee on Thursday