She is due to speak at a conference on wrongful convictions and miscarriages of justice in the northern city of Modena tomorrow.
"And then, of course, Netflix chose to advertise "Amanda Knox" with twin massive billboards in L.A. and NY: my face and the words "monster" on one and "victim" on the other", Knox wrote in her Medium post.
Knox admitted she was nervous to return to the country after being acquitted by an appeals court in October 2011 for the murder of 21-year-old Meredith Kercher in the university town of Perugia.
Knox was an American student studying overseas in Perugia in 2007 when she was accused of brutally murdering roommate Meredith Kercher, 21, who was found half-naked with her throat cut in her bedroom.
Amanda Knox is back in Italy for the first time since 2011, when she was freed from prison after an appeals court acquitted her of the 2007 slaying of her British roommate.
Knox spent four years in an Italian prison over the killing. Her then-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito was also convicted of murder.
Since her release, Knox has written a book about her experience - "Waiting To Be Heard: A Memoir" - been the subject of a Netflix documentary, and become a public advocate for inmates who have been wrongfully imprisoned. In 2013 she was convicted for a second time after a retrial.
The global media circus around her trial inspired the 2016 Netflix documentary Amanda Knox.
"I'm about to return to Italy for the first time since I was released from prison and fled the country in a high-speed chase, paparazzi literally ramming the back of my stepdad's rental vehicle", Knox wrote in a Medium post. "Someone's life may make a great story, but it's still their life, and as a journalist myself, I feel a moral duty to respect that".
"I could not be certain that someone befriending me wasn't doing so to get to me", she said.
"I just wanted to have what every other person around me had, the freedom to shout into the wind and say, 'Here I am!' The freedom to strike up an unexpected conversation with a friendly digital stranger", she writes.
Meredith, from Coulsdon, Surrey, was found semi-naked with multiple stab wounds on the bedroom floor of the flat they shared in Perugia.
Kercher's nude body was found under a blanket in her locked room; investigators said her throat was slit and she had been sexually assaulted.
- Snapchat’s gender swap filter catches cop allegedly grooming underage girl
- Trump says will not fire White House adviser Conway
- LaLiga's app listened in on fans to take bars illegally streaming soccer
- ‘Utterly unacceptable': Jon Stewart lashes out at Congress over 9/11 victims fund
- Police release new surveillance video of David Ortiz shooting
- Opposition effort to block no-deal Brexit narrowly defeated
- Kansas City Chiefs owner Clark Hunt releases statement on Pat Bowlen
- Theresa May announces net zero emissions goal for 2050
- 'Shark Tank' Star's Brother Died in Dominican Republic
- Kyle Rudolph's Vikings deal cuts off another Patriots' tight end option