After the tree was initially planted, it was then uprooted and put in quarantine - a normal procedure for any foreign plant brought into the U.S.
Days ago, we heard a tree of friendship, which France's president gave the USA and planted at the White House with President Trump, is dead. Pundits in the US noticed that the tree never returned, suggesting that the France-US alliance was not as sturdy as it once was.
The two men celebrated the special relationship between the United States and France during Macron's state visit in April 2018 to Washington by planting the oak sapling on the grounds of the White House.
"The symbol was to plant it together", said Macron.
The United States and France have a historically shared a close relationship.
The European Sessile Oak was a gift from the Macrons and comes from Belleau Woods, where more than 9000 American marines died during battle in June 1918 during the First World War.
The French President added: "It so happened that this oak tree for quarantine sanitary reasons did not survive the quarantine in America. the poor thing did not survive because it had to go through quite a tough diet".
By November past year, relations between the two presidents had soured, with Trump tweeting his displeasure over Macron's comments about nationalism and the need for Europe to develop its own defence force independent of the US.
"Europe needs strong personalities, it needs people with personal credibility and skills to fill the positions", Mr Macron said. Despite apparent parallels to several U.S. policies, Macron didn't name Trump.
The White House and Trump have not publicly commented on the tree's death.
- Pelosi on Trump insults: 'I'm done with him'
- Boris Johnson surges ahead in Conservative leadership election
- Keanu Reeves not touching women is a thing
- BBC to introduce means-tested license fee for over-75s
- Klay goes down with knee injury, out for game
- UK: MPs defeat motion to block no-deal Brexit
- Gulf of Oman incident
- Opposition effort to block no-deal Brexit narrowly defeated
- Huawei’s Android OS alternative 60% faster than Android
- More than 20 arrested at Moscow protest after reporter freed