The orders will then be picked up and hand-delivered to customers.
The car's self-driving system can enable "the possible future deployment of self-driving cars in Uber's network as an autonomous ridesharing service", Uber said in its news release.
Last year, Uber and the city of San Diego won a bid from the United States Federal Aviation Administration to test food delivery by air.
"Our goal is to expand Uber Eats drone delivery so we can provide more options to more people at the tap of a button", said Luke Fischer, head of flight operations at Uber Elevate.
Uber said it had developed a proprietary airspace management system called Elevate Cloud Systems that will guide the drones to their location.
Volvo and Uber have whipped the wraps off their first production vehicle capable of full self-driving.
The Uber Eats drone announcement is just one of the updates out of Uber's "Elevate" arm, which is dedicated to pursuing Uber's aerial travel business.
An array of sensors peppered atop and built into the vehicle are designed for Uber's self-driving system to safely operate the machine and maneuver it in an urban environment. "When paired with our self-driving technology, this vehicle will be a key ingredient in Uber's autonomous product suite", commented Eric Meyhofer, CEO of Uber Advanced Technologies Group. These include several backup systems for both steering and braking functions as well as battery backup power. By the middle of the next decade we expect one-third of all cars we sell to be fully autonomous.
Uber signed a deal in 2017 with Volvo, which is owned by China's Geely, to produce "tens of thousands" of self-driving cars for a fleet of autonomous taxis. "If any of the primary systems should fail for some reason, the back-up systems are created to immediately act to bring the auto to a stop".
- U.S-China Trade War Ripples Through Market Again After Trump Comments
- NASA Is Opening The International Space Station to Tourists
- Justin Bieber was just joking about wanting to fight Tom Cruise
- Belgian FA hide Eden Hazard from media duties
- BCCI call in cover for injured Shikhar Dhawan
- More Heart break for Chelsea Fans as Real Madrid drops major announcement
- 300,000 evacuated as India braces for Cyclone Vayu
- U.S. submits formal extradition request for WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange
- United Kingdom home secretary signs USA extradition request for Julian Assange
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Pro to come with jaw-dropping price