Meanwhile, Vermont Gov. Phil Scott, a Republican, signed a bill Monday handed by articulate lawmakers in Would possibly that states abortion is a "elementary accurate" and also protects the ideal to contraception, sterilization and family planning.
Democratic Gov. Janet Mills signed the bill Monday - a bill she had introduced herself.
Upon signing the bill which Gov. Mills introduced herself, the former state Attorney General argued that by allowing "qualified and licensed medical professionals to perform abortions will ensure that ME women, especially those in rural areas, are able to access critical reproductive health care services when and where they need them from qualified providers they know and trust". The law will take effect in ME 90 days after the Legislature adjourns. Critics say allowing more people to do abortions could make it more unsafe.
The new law lets nurse practitioners, physician assistants and others carry out abortions. Stacey Guerin has said.
In 2014, "some 81% of ME counties had no clinics that provided abortions, and 55% of ME women lived in those counties", according to the Guttmacher Institute.
Supporters argued that existing law restricts access to abortion - particularly in rural areas of ME - by not allowing properly trained physician assistants and advanced practice registered nurses to perform the medical procedure or prescribe drugs to terminate a pregnancy.
"States across the country, including Vermont and New Hampshire, have already eliminated this outdated restriction on abortion care", said Sara Gideon, the speaker of the Maine House of Representatives.
The law in ME comes after other Democrat-led states moved to protect or expand abortions access in their states following a series of pro-life measures in red states, most notably in Alabama where abortion was banned after six weeks.
Eight other states have similar laws allowing nurse practitioners, nurse midwives and physician assistants to provide abortion services.
- Rare exchange of fire between Israeli troops and Palestinian security
- Cuba Gooding Jr. will surrender to NYPD to face groping charge
- Jessica Biel an 'extremely well-informed' anti-vaxxer: Robert F. Kennedy Jr
- Transfer: De Ligt set to complete €75million move
- Real Madrid sign Mendy to continue summer spree
- Justin Bieber was just joking about wanting to fight Tom Cruise
- Belgian FA hide Eden Hazard from media duties
- More Heart break for Chelsea Fans as Real Madrid drops major announcement
- United Kingdom home secretary signs USA extradition request for Julian Assange
- U.S-China Trade War Ripples Through Market Again After Trump Comments