Team Ineos confirmed in a statement that the four-time Tour de France victor had come off his bike during a reconnaissance of the day's ride and had withdrawn from the race.
Later on Wednesday, Team INEOS confirmed Froome sustained "multiple serious injuries" as a result of the crash. He has also suffered fractured ribs. He is now being airlifted to St Etienne University Hospital for further treatment.
Froome was planning to use the Criterium du Dauphine as a final preparation for the upcoming Tour de France, which takes place over three weeks from Saturday July 6 to Sunday July 28.
"He crashed in the downhill section of the course at high speed".
L'Equipe write that Froome hit a wall during his ride, before a team official revealed the news about his fractured pelvis. "He's been operated on to make sure that first phase of medical care is as optimal as possible and we..."
"One of our big strengths on this team is coming together in hard moments, and we will ensure we do everything possible to support Chris and his family", he said.
A witness at the scene of the accident said Froome had suffered an open fracture of the femur and had suffered other injuries too, notably to his elbows.
"One of the things which sets Chris apart is his mental strength and resilience - and we will support him totally in his recovery, help him to recalibrate and assist him in pursuing his future goals and ambitions".
Froome - a four-time victor of cycling's biggest event - was taken to hospital after crashing during a reconnaissance ride ahead of stage four of the Criterium du Dauphine. Froome won the Tour in 2013 with Team Sky, and in 2015, 2016, and 2017.
- UK network operators 'call for clarity over position on Huawei'
- Fiat Teams With Silicon Valley's Aurora on Self-Driving Tech
- Apple iCloud Comes to the Microsoft Store for Windows 10
- NC Boy Performs on America's Got Talent
- David Ortiz shooting: Five detained, gun recovered but motive remains unknown
- Barca make final push to sign De Ligt
- Alex Morgan sets a scoring record and shakes World Cup
- Someone paid over $76K for Raptors Game 1 NBA Finals tickets
- 300,000 evacuated as India braces for Cyclone Vayu
- Iran to hand over USA resident accused of spying to Lebanon