An offside decision cost Morgan a fifth-minute opener but the prolific forward would not be denied, nodding in Kelley O'Hara's dinked cross with aplomb to open the scoring.
There was no other way to describe the US defeating Thailand on Tuesday night to kick off their Women's World Cup title defense. Alex Morgan had five goals, Rose Lavelle and Sam Mewis scored two each, while Lindsey Horan, Carli Lloyd, Mallory Pugh and Megan Rapinoe added goals as well.
The 2019 Women's World Cup final is slated for July 7.
The USWNT and Thailand last met in a 2016 friendly. The No. 1-ranked United States is the defending Women's World Cup champion. A trio of Americans swarmed Thailand keeper Sukanya Chor Charoenying, and a moment later, Alex Morgan scored a goal with her head.
So expectations are the USA women's national team will get off to a strong start today in the 2019 Women's World Cup, as the defending champions open against Thailand in pool play.
Portland Thorns players Tobin Heath, Lindsey Horan, Emily Sonnett and Adrianna Franch are all on the USA team and could feature in the game. She had seven goals during the CONCACAF World Cup qualifying tournament alone.
The USA will face Chile in Paris at 17:00 BST on 16 June, three hours after Thailand meet Sweden.
- Clapping back at hackers, Radiohead to release stolen music as fundraiser
- Square Enix Is Releasing Final Fantasy 7 Remake Watches Worth $2500 Each
- PM Modi tweets animated Yoga tutorial of Bhadrasana
- Norway blanks Nigeria without Hegerberg
- Jon Stewart berates House Judiciary Committee over treatment of 9/11 first responders
- China telecom giant Huawei hints USA pressure hurting sales
- France ready to cut Renault stake to shore up Nissan ties: minister
- Messi beats Ronaldo in 2019 Forbes rich list
- Mexico denies Trump's claim of secret concessions in deal
- Russia: Protest held in Moscow over arrest of investigative journalist Ivan Golunov