According to the IMD, the cyclone is likely to move almost northwards and cross Gujarat coast between Porbandar and Mahuva around Veraval & Diu region as a Severe Cyclonic Storm with wind speed 110-120 kmph gusting to 135 kmph during early morning of June 13, 2019. It also said that Vayu's intensity could increase as it makes its way towards Gujarat's coast.
It is very likely to intensify further into a deep depression during the next six hours, into a cyclonic storm during the subsequent 24 hours and into a severe cyclonic storm thereafter.
MeT officials have said that the cyclone is expected to be closest to the Saurashtra Coast by June 12 and between June 12 and June 14, the western-most parts of Saurashtra and Kutch region in Gujarat could witness torrid winds and heavy rainfall.
The depression over south-east, adjoining Lakshadweep and east-central Arabian Sea moved northwards with a speed of about 31 kmph on Monday. Wind speeds could reach up to 155 kmph during landfall in Gujarat.
The Gujarat government Monday held a joint review meeting involving the India Meteorological Department (IMD), Army, Air Force, Coast Guard, National Disaster Response Force and State Disaster Response Force, chaired by revenue additional chief secretary Pankaj Kumar.
A distant warning number 2 (DW-2) signal has been hoisted at the major ports of Gujarat to alert locals as well as fishermen, Sarkar said.
According to the IMD, Cyclone Vayu was around 630 kilometres south-southwest off Mumbai, Maharashtra at 11.30 pm on June 10.
"We have asked the state government to issue a warning to fishermen that they should not venture into the sea and have also asked those who are in sea to come back immediately".
The government will also put the Army, the Navy and the Coast Guard on alert. The Gujarat government is on high alert.
Cities of Ahmedabad, Rajkot, Gandhinagar, Bhuj, Surat, and Veraval will also see some rainfall activities in view of Cyclone Vayu, resulting in the abatement of heat wave from many pockets.
The setting of monsoon, which usually happens around June 15, will be further delayed as the cyclonic storm could disturb its advancement.
- Botswana Decriminalizes Gay Sex in Landmark Africa Case
- Facebook Still Leading Social Media Platform in 2019
- PM Modi tweets animated Yoga tutorial of Bhadrasana
- Spielberg creates new TV show you can only watch at night
- Nizar Zakka: Iran frees detained Lebanese businessman
- Nokia launches new affordable smartphone, Nokia 2.2
- Sleeping with the TV on is linked to weight gain, study says
- Messi scores twice as Argentina routs Nicaragua
- Half-time: Jamaica's Reggae Girlz trail Brazil 1-0
- Jon Stewart berates House Judiciary Committee over treatment of 9/11 first responders