The U.S. secured the largest margin of victory in the history of the tournament, but some criticized its relentless pursuit of goals and celebrations while holding a substantial lead. This game likely won't be hard, so coach Jill Ellis might start some of her backups and keep key players benched.
The United States team has an average of 29 years old, which makes them the oldest squad in the tournament, and second-oldest in the competition's history. That would be an increase of over 30 percent from the 2015 women's World Cup, held in Canada.
That game was notable for other reasons: It was veteran forward Heather O'Reilly's farewell match, Megan Rapinoe took a knee during the USA national anthem and Carli Lloyd scored a hat trick. They have won three World Cups since the tournament began in 1991, four Olympic golds in the last six Games and have topped the Federation Internationale de Football Association rankings every year but one over the last 11 years.
Rain had been falling for around a quarter of an hour amid a threat of thunderstorms when the Mexican referee, Lucila Venegas, chose to take the players off in the 72nd minute with the score still 0-0.
After the weather delay in the 72nd minute of the game, Sweden emerged with real intent and Kosovare Asllani fired high into the net from close range before substitute Madelen Janogy skipped through the Chile defence and made it 2-0 in stoppage time.
The record-setting night ended at 13-0.
Meanwhile, European champions the Netherlands also got off to a winning start, but left it very late to beat New Zealand in Le Havre. The last time they faced the U.S.in the 2015 World Cup, Thailand lost 8-0.
It was a deeply disappointing result for the Football Ferns, who had resisted so well for long spells at the Stade Oceane. "I think the players are ready, excited, hungry", she said in a news conference Monday evening.
American player Lindsey Horan said this year's World Cup, "in itself is going to change things for women's soccer, how we play and how the world sees us".
- Nizar Zakka: Iran frees detained Lebanese businessman
- Kylie Jenner Dresses Up as Handmaid's Tale Character for Stassi's Birthday Party
- France ready to cut Renault stake to shore up Nissan ties: minister
- Mexico denies Trump's claim of secret concessions in deal
- Sleeping with the TV on is linked to weight gain, study says
- David Ortiz Airlifted from Dominican Republic to Boston After Shooting
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga Is Coming To Nintendo Switch
- Norway blanks Nigeria without Hegerberg
- Anthony Joshua fight 'most pirated boxing event ever'
- Watch Dogs Legion Release Date Announced