In the second half, the United States scored 10 times.
Alex Morgan scored a record-tying five goals as the United States opened its Women's World Cup campaign with a tournament-record 13-0 win over Thailand in Group F on Tuesday in Reims, France. But that was only the start for Morgan.
Megan Rapinoe of U.S. celebrates her goal with her teammates. She sent a firm left-footed strike past a dive from Sukanya Chor Charoenying and it went in from 20-yards out. Lavelle added another goal, while Sam Mewis also added two and Lindsey Horan, Megan Rapinoe, Mallory Pugh and Carli Lloyd each added one for the U.S.
The US returns to action on Sunday against Chile. The United States can score in such a wide variety of ways it isn't privy to an upset possibility in the way other top-flight teams are.
The Germans ended up winning it all, though they ran out of goals in their next game against England, settling for a 0-0 tie. Even then, though, Thailand held reigning champion Germany to just four goals.
Sweden defeated Chile 2-0 earlier on Tuesday in Rennes, a match that featured a 40-minute weather delay.
Morgan, U.S. Soccer's 2018 Player of the Year, now has 106 global goals. The Americans' largest margin came in 1991 against Chinese Taipei with a 7-0 win.
So, it took 13 years of World Cup play for the men's team to do what the women's team did in one day.
It was pretty well known heading into the tournament that Morgan would lead the Americans.
Thailand was never a real threat to the US national team.
The pre-tournament favorites and defending champions took it right to Thailand in the opening minutes, with a Morgan goal ruled out for offside inside of 10 minutes. Lloyd has seven career goals in World Cup play, including three in the 2015 final against Japan.
The two teams were the last to kickoff in the group stage for the monthlong tournament.
The American's really put the pressure on Thailand with their tempo. It stands as the largest victory in an global match. The American's pass accuracy was at 82% and Thailand only reached 61%.
"She got five goals?!" The squad only allowed two shots on goals as the Thai offense was nearly nonexistent throughout the entire match. For comparison, the USA had 39 attempts.
- France ready to cut Renault stake to shore up Nissan ties: minister
- US opens World Cup with record-breaking 13-0 rout of Thailand
- Mexico denies Trump's claim of secret concessions in deal
- Botswana Decriminalizes Gay Sex in Landmark Africa Case
- Norway blanks Nigeria without Hegerberg
- Breath of the Wild sequel revealed by Nintendo in E3 2019 surprise
- Kylie Jenner Dresses Up as Handmaid's Tale Character for Stassi's Birthday Party
- Nokia launches new affordable smartphone, Nokia 2.2
- Facebook Still Leading Social Media Platform in 2019
- Square Enix Is Releasing Final Fantasy 7 Remake Watches Worth $2500 Each