Argentina's Lionel Messi celebrates after scoring the first goal against Nicaragua June 7, 2019.
Scaloni, brought in after Jorge Sampaoli was sacked following a disastrous showing at the World Cup last summer, is aiming to build a younger team and end Argentina's 26-year wait for a trophy. Argentina were runners-up on both occasions when the tournament was conducted previously - 2015 and 2016 - they lost to Chile in both finals.
However, Argentina will hope that Messi is in full flow in the Copa America to help the South Americans win the coveted title.
A minute later, Sergio Aguero's shot from a tight angle was parried clear by Lorente only for Messi to slide in the rebound.
River Plate's Matias Suarez had a shot pushed onto the post by visiting keeper Justo Lorente on 26 minutes but the two time World Champions were being made to work hard for openings. Inter Milan's Martinez, who came on with Paulo Dybala after Messi and Aguero were withdrawn at half-time, added his two before another substitute, Roberto Pereyra, tapped in a late fifth.
Coming up next for Argentina is their Copa America campaign, which they will begin by facing James Rodriguez' Colombia in Salvador on June 15.
- Sri Lanka intelligence chief fired after criticism over bombings
- Clapping back at hackers, Radiohead to release stolen music as fundraiser
- Canada Aims to Ban Single-Use Plastics
- Attack on Mali village kills 100
- Our Final Fantasy 8 Remaster Reveal Reactions Were Mixed
- China telecom giant Huawei hints USA pressure hurting sales
- Turkey stuns World Cup champion France with home win
- ITV Love Island fans fuming as Molly Mae steals Danny off Yewande
- Amitabh Bachchan’s Twitter account hacked
- Four bodies found as salvage crews lift capsized Hungarian tourist boat