"They were going at four, 4.5 [runs] per over and looking at that in isolation we did well".
Both sides return to action on Tuesday, with India facing Bangladesh in Cardiff and the Kiwis taking on West Indies in Bristol. Kohli's men, second behind England in the one-day worldwide rankings, will start the tournament among the favourites alongside the host nation and defending champions Australia.
The Black Caps begin their World Cup campaign against Sri Lanka next Saturday.
While the arch lights will be firmly trained on their talismanic skipper, the number one batsman in 50-over as well as Test cricket, India, and their opponents, would also keenly watch their fancied pace attack that is a mix of speed and guile.
It was Boult's first spell which saw openers Rohit Sharma (2) and Shikhar Dhawan (2) along with No. 4 KL Rahul (6) being dismissed that proved to be decisive in overcast conditions. Virat Kohli (18 off 24) and MS Dhoni (17 off 42) did little to counter the sudden onslaught.
Opponents will observe the ability of India's seamers to exploit the conditions, which could be the most important factor going ahead. New Zealand sealed victory with six wickets in hand and almost 13 overs to spare.
The ongoing warm-up tie between India and New Zealand will give also an opportunity to wrist spinners Kuldeep Yadav and Yuzvendra Chahal to find their groove, especially the former after an indifferent showing in IPL-12. We've not played together for a couple of months but we're not the only ones in that boat.
Added to the quirk was that with the pitch sporting a reasonable covering of grass, India captain Virat Kohli opted to bat in order to put his side under some pre-tournament pressure.
Date and Day: May 25, 2019, Staurday. India, wardens of the explosive short-format, poster boys of this new era of big-hitting cricket, are not supposed to succumb to the nice guys of New Zealand.
India 179 (R Jadeja 54, H Pandya 30; T Boult 4-33, J Neesham 3-26) lost to New Zealand 180-4 (R Taylor 71, K Williamson 67) by six wickets.
- OnePlus 7 Android Q Beta Developer Preview available for download
- $19.1 billion in nationwide disaster aid stalls after single House Republican objects
- Fed To Hold Off On Interest Rate Hikes
- IPhone 11 release dates align with EUA database
- Kanye West: Trump Voters 'Bullied' by 'Liberals'
- Memorial Day weekend promises to be sunny and warm
- USA measles outbreak spreads to ME , 25th state to report case
- Audi will replace the TT with an electric sports vehicle
- Huawei hit hard as US-based businesses suspend ties
- Electric cars get BIG boost as Vauxhall reveals first-ever Corsa-e