"I don't think we've ever had a camp where we haven't had a lot of pull outs, but we've always adapted and managed to achieve results with new players and young players".
Southgate has named an initial 27-man selection, which he will narrow down to a final 23 by 27 May.
Overlooked since winning his one and only England cap in March 2017, the 25-year-old scooped the Player of the Year double at Saints' end of year awards after a fine campaign.
There is no place for Ruben Loftus-Cheek after sustaining a nasty-looking ankle injury playing in a friendly for Chelsea on Wednesday, while fellow midfielders Declan Rice and James Ward-Prowse are involved again.
Jesse Lingard and Joe Gomez return to the squad, while Luke Shaw and James Tarkowski are left out. "But, where there are one or two others we need to know a lot more about in the next week, he is one I will make an exception for in that I will see how it goes in the final week".
Wright-Phillips, who scored six goals in 36 England appearance, added: "We've never not had the players, but we just never seem to get to the final hurdle for some reason".
Speaking at a press conference, the England manager said: "I think he finished the season really well".
However this is Southgate's captain as well as his most predatory forward, and he clearly wants him as an option for that semi-final encounter with Holland on June 6.
'Those that lose might be ready to get out there and ready to fight and we just have to monitor that, but we have got to prepare with the rest as though we have none of them available and go from there and then make decisions as the guys start to arrive'.
Southgate said: "It would not be right to pitch it with a European Championship or a World Cup".
- Newly-discovered spyware can infect a phone just by a WhatsApp call
- Walmart Commits to Free One-Day Shipping: 'It Will Cost Us Less'
- Grumpy Cat, the feline internet legend, dies at age 7
- Madonna Defends Decision to Perform at Eurovision in Israel
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson suspended 6 games over PED violation
- Conrad Black: Trump pardons ex-media mogul
- Realme X Lite debuts with SD710 SoC and a notch display
- Sudan's military council head: Suspend talks with protesters for 72 hours
- Nebraska farmer saws off own leg with pocket knife, crawls for help
- Uber Introduces "Quiet Mode" Premium Feature