"I had my pocket knife in my pocket. This is not good at all, '" Kaser told KETV.
As he was unloading corn, his leg got caught in farm equipment and he couldn't get it out. An auger is a tube that uses a rotating shaft to suck the grain and push it through the tube to deposit in a bin.
"I was in a hurry and didn't pay attention", he said, hoping his story can serve as a warning to other farmers. "That's what I was hanging onto as I was trying to get myself out".
Kaser plans to get back to farming after his leg heals.
At the time, he did not have a mobile phone and no one could hear his calls for help.
I thought 'how long am I going to stay conscious here?' because I didn't know what to expect. "I knew I was done cutting because I felt a amusing feeling, maybe it was a tendon I cut". "I felt it jerk me again and I thought it would grab me and pull me in further", he told an ABC News affiliate.
The farmer then took out his pen knife and cut off what remained of his limb below the knee. "I said, 'The only way I'm getting out of here is to cut it off, ' so I just started sawing at it", he told KETV.
Then, in a demonstration of raw grit, Kaser drug himself 200 feet to the nearest phone to call his son - a member of the local squad - for help. Kaser said he was so used to his routine that he didn't think anything out of the ordinary would happen that day, but then he stepped out of his truck and accidentally into a grain hopper.
After a week in the hospital and another two weeks recovering at Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital in Lincoln, he was released Friday.
Kaser undergoes physical thearpy to get stronger after losing his leg.
Kaser said his recovery process has been painful, but he is determined to walk again. "I mean, it coulda always been worse".
- SF Bans Police From Using Facial Recognition Tech
- Britney Spears may never perform again, her manager says
- De Ligt gives update on future after Ajax's final home game
- Hearing in Colorado school shooting delayed
- DISTRESSING FOOTAGE: Elderly man dies after woman shoves him off bus
- U.S. officer shoots and kills pregnant woman after trying to arrest her
- Macron, Ardern host Paris summit against online extremism
- Netflix will be talking games development at E3 2019
- Brexit rebels tell Theresa May - Your EU divorce deal is dead
- 6 missing after midair floatplane collision in Alaska