The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released the latest numbers Monday. Brooklyn and Rockland, New York; Oakland, Michigan; and Clark County, Washington, located in southern part of the state, were among the hardest hit.
Officials in New York City and Rockland County - where almost 700 people combined have contracted measles since late past year - have taken measures such as declaring emergencies over the issue and implementing bans on unvaccinated minors in certain schools or public places.
This year's count of measles cases has already surpassed 800... and it's only May. These areas are home to the Orthodox Jewish communities that have been reporting an increasing number of cases since October.
GWYNNE HOGAN, BYLINE: In the summer of 1990, New Kids On The Block were at the top of the charts, and New York City was in the middle of a massive measles outbreak.
"We all knew that what was really driving the return of diseases like measles was the growing vaccine refusal, the anti-vax movement", said UT Austin professor Sahotra Sarkar.
The best way to protect against the disease is to get the measles-mumps-rubella shot (MMR) shot. As of May 10, the CDC says 23 states had seen individual cases of measles this year, and several are now experiencing outbreaks: New Jersey, Michigan, Georgia, Maryland and Pennsylvania, as well as Butte, Los Angeles and Sacramento counties in California.
- DISTRESSING FOOTAGE: Elderly man dies after woman shoves him off bus
- Impossible Foods CEO is a longtime vegan and biochemist
- Brexit rebels tell Theresa May - Your EU divorce deal is dead
- Tehran offered to pay jailed Iranian woman to spy on UK
- SF Bans Police From Using Facial Recognition Tech
- Moonquakes are causing the moon to shrink over time
- U.S. officer shoots and kills pregnant woman after trying to arrest her
- Donald Trump expected to sign order banning Huawei from United States networks
- Netflix will be talking games development at E3 2019
- Dauntless Coming to Consoles and Epic Games Store Next Week