"Mike helped to execute the strategic vision of the organization during the last four seasons and especially the past few months".
News out of NY is the Jets have fired their general manager, Mike Maccagnan and VP of Player Personnel Brian Heimerdinger. Johnson goes on to justify today's choice "what would be in the best long-term interests of the New York Jets".
A rift reportedly grew between Maccagnan and Gase weeks after the head coach was hired in January. Gase is the only head coach in the National Football League now with the general manager title, making him the 20th GM to work in the AFC East after Bill Belichick was as the Patriots head coach hired in 2000.
On Wednesday, the New York Jets shocked the football world when they unexpectedly fired general manager Mike Maccagnan and made Adam Gase the interim GM. For what it's worth, Gase later downplayed the reports.
This is not the best start for a new head coach and running back to kick off their respective careers together. We have discussion on everything.
The draft-day misses landed Maccagnan squarely on the hot seat, and now the Jets will move forward with someone else making the personnel decisions.
Maccagnan had significant input into the hiring of Gase. He also acquired left guard Kelechi Osemele from the Raiders in a trade.
Philadelphia Eagles vice president of player personnel Joe Douglas, who is believed to be close to Gase, could be the man to replace Maccagnan fulltime, ESPN reported. Maccagnan, however, had all the juice when it came to talent acquisition and over.
But Maccagnan's draft history since coming to NY is otherwise shaky, at best.
- Two coffees a day could help you live longer, research suggests
- Macron, Ardern host Paris summit against online extremism
- DISTRESSING FOOTAGE: Elderly man dies after woman shoves him off bus
- Myanmar pilots lauded after landing without nose gear
- Britney Spears may never perform again, her manager says
- ITV axes 'Jeremy Kyle Show' after death of participant
- Moonquakes are causing the moon to shrink over time
- Madonna urged to boycott Eurovision contest in Israel
- Donald Trump expected to sign order banning Huawei from United States networks
- Tehran offered to pay jailed Iranian woman to spy on UK