Liverpool's only loss was to City at Etihad Stadium on January 3 and the team hasn't dropped any points since March 3, a 0-0 stalemate at Merseyside neighbor Everton that completed a run of four draws in six league games in a five-week span.
City manager Pep Guardiola admitted Liverpool had given them their toughest test, forcing them to win their final 14 league matches to finish on 98 points - the second highest total in the Premier League era.
Despite failing to score against the Wolves, Salah retained the Golden Boot award for the second successive year, sharing the award with his teammate Sadio Mane and Arsenal forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who also finished on 22 goals.
Liverpool completed the season on 97 points, without a loss at home, but their 2-0 victory against Wolves was not enough to end 29-year title wait.
"We need to be very, very close to perfection to win the Premier League".
They believe they will never get as good again.
"We accept the challenge and I promise we will come back and I have the feeling we will be stronger next season".
There was hope among the home fans when news of City conceding early arrived shortly after Mane had put the Reds in front, but the moment the champions moved ahead before the break, Liverpool looked resigned to their disappointment. "People say no-one remembers the team who finished second but this team will be remembered".
"This team is at a wonderful age group and we will go again and develop".
"I don't care about another opinion, but we work so hard every day to be challenging to be as close as possible, but City were just a tiny little bit better than us, and that's football as well. I think maybe it is doing what we have done", the Scotland captain continued.
"It's a very special season, a better season than I played with my team (Borussia Dortmund) when we were champions in Germany". But we can not ignore one team were better.
He said: "This title race between City and Liverpool was awesome for the competition and everyone who loves the game. We will go again but give me a few hours to get over it!"
- M7.5 quake jolts Papua New Guinea, Tsunami warning issued
- Arthur’s teacher Mr Ratburn is a gay, married man
- Meghan Markle's Instagram Posted a Photo of Archie's Feet for Mother's Day
- Teva vows to fight price-fixing lawsuit
- Meghan Celebrates Mother's Day With Pic Of Baby Archie
- Donald Trump Praises Bill Barr for Investigating Russia 'Hoax' Origin
- USA believes Iran proxies may be behind tanker attacks, official says
- Judge suppresses video of Patriots' Robert Kraft at spa
- Asian markets tumble after Wall St battering as China retaliates — International Business
- Antoine Griezmann moving on from MLS All-Star foe — Adios Atleico Madrid