CNN reported that Trump Jr. and Burr have been negotiating about his further testimony for the committee for months, but the legal team for the president's son has objected to the scope of the questioning, which encompasses various issues in connection with the Russian Federation investigation.
The source disputed news reports suggesting the questioning would be limited to five or six topics pertaining to Trump Jr.'s communications with Russian officials.
Republican Sen. Richard Burr of North Carolina described the reason for the subpoena to his Republican colleagues last week as he tried to stem criticism for taking action against President Donald Trump's eldest son.
The development capped a contentious episode that began when the panel, led by Chairman Richard Burr, R-N.C., and Ranking Member Mark Warner, D-Va., subpoenaed the president's son over remarks he made while testifying before the committee in 2017.
Trump Jr. had already volunteered to show up for interviews but failed to appear twice, Burr told other Republican senators last week according to The NYT. Add Donald Trump Jr.as an interest to stay up to date on the latest Donald Trump Jr. news, video, and analysis from ABC News. "They're requesting him back based upon something that Cohen has said, when he is in jail for lying to Congress", Mr. McCarthy said on CBS' "Face the Nation" Sunday.
Led by Republican chairman Richard Burr, the intelligence panel is the only committee in the Republican-controlled Senate that has been conducting a bipartisan investigation into allegations of Russian interference in US politics.
Trump said on Tuesday said he believed that his son was being treated poorly.
"If I were Donald Trump Jr.'s lawyer I would tell him, 'You don't need to go back into this environment anymore, you've been there for hours and hours and hours and nothing being alleged here changes the outcome of the Mueller investigation.' I would call it a day", Graham told Fox News.
A Senate Intelligence Committee spokesperson declined to comment. "And once you let somebody elude it, it'll happen again", said Senator Dianne Feinstein, a Democrat on the Intelligence committee, when asked by Newsweek prior to the deal whether Trump Jr. should be held in contempt.
So, for now, the temperature on this fight comes down-but simmering tensions between Burr and the Trump universe are unlikely to fade forever, and this may foreshadow a bigger fight to come in the future sometime between the Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Trump-world.
- Close Friend Patrice Evra Has Say On Paul Pogba's Man Utd Future
- Donald Trump Praises Bill Barr for Investigating Russia 'Hoax' Origin
- Rampant Bucks Are the Team to Beat After Domination of the Celtics
- Ex-Man United midfielder to remain on coaching staff
- Source says Barr is launching new look at origins of Russian Federation probe
- Asian markets tumble after Wall St battering as China retaliates — International Business
- Arthur’s teacher Mr Ratburn is a gay, married man
- Teva vows to fight price-fixing lawsuit
- Saturday Night Live turns into a courtroom for Jonas Brothers
- Sudanese security forces kill six in clashes with protesters