Attorney General William Barr appointed a USA attorney Monday night to investigate the shady origins of the Russia-Trump collusion probe and whether the DOJ acted "properly" while surveilling the Trump campaign heading into the 2016 election.
In 2017, former Attorney General Jeff Sessions assigned Utah's top federal prosecutor John Huber to review a wide range of issues that Republicans had complained about, from how the FBI handled investigations related to Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, to questions about the origins of the Russian Federation probe. According to reports, Barr has begun a multi-agency investigation into possible surveillance on the Trump campaign.
Trump, asked outside the White House on Tuesday if he had ordered Barr to look into the matter, told reporters, "No I didn't ask him to do that". William Barr is working with the CIA director, Gina Haspel; director of national intelligence, Dan Coats; and Federal Bureau of Investigation director, Christopher Wray, as part of the inquiry. I think it's great.
"There is a substantial investigation, which as I understand it, is nearing completion, being conducted by the Justice Department Inspector General", Clapper said.
Several other media outlets also reported Durham has been tapped to lead the inquiry. He suggested his focus was on senior leaders at the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Justice Department at the time.
"The inquiry will focus on whether the government's methods to collect intelligence relating to the Trump campaign were lawful and appropriate", The AP added. These concerns were in part fueled by the revelation that the FISA warrant obtained to surveil Trump campaign national-security adviser Carter Page was based on information provided in the unsubstantiated Steele dossier.
Durham, nominated as U.S. Attorney by Trump in late 2017 and confirmed in 2018, has prior experience as a special prosecutor. The agency's watchdog is also examining the Russian Federation probe's origins and Barr has said he expects the watchdog report to be done in May or June. Huber was also tasked with looking into the Clinton Foundation and whether Clinton played a role in the Obama administration's decision to let a Russian-backed company, Uranium One, purchase US uranium mines in 2010.
- Three bodies found impaled with crossbow bolts at 'quiet' German hotel
- Ex-Man United midfielder to remain on coaching staff
- Minor allegedly raped in Ganderbal,accused arrested
- Deepest ever dive finds plastic bag at bottom of Mariana Trench
- Source says Barr is launching new look at origins of Russian Federation probe
- Weather looks good for SpaceX night launch from Cape Canaveral
- M7.5 quake jolts Papua New Guinea, Tsunami warning issued
- Did Kim Kardashian just reveal the name of her fourth child?!
- Felicity Huffman Likely to Spend This Amount of Time in Jail
- Amazon Will Give Employees $10K to Start Delivery Businesses