Whereas, while speaking to Fox Sports after his side's victory yesterday over Utrecht, De Ligt hinted his exit from the Dutch club.
His comfort on the ball and mature grasp of defensive duties has made him one of the sought-after talents in Europe.
The defender has been linked with a move away from the Champions League semi-finalists, with Barcelona a leading candidate having already snapped up his team-mate Frenkie de Jong in a €75 million (£65m/$85m) deal.
Nevertheless, the final negotiations are yet to be known but De Ligt's inclusion in Barcelona's squad will surely bolster the defense line of the club as the Dutch defender has been phenomenal, despite not reaching to his true potential yet. I don't know yet.
"There have been conversations, but there is still no agreement".
They had attempted to act with caution as they did not want to distract either Ajax or De Ligt from their Champions League journey but, with Erik ten Hag's side now out of the competition, Barcelona are not prepared to move slowly anymore.
"If I were in charge of Manchester City, I would take Maguire over de Ligt". "But I hope he goes out on a high".
The 19-year-old defender amassed a lot of attention from the big clubs after displaying exceptional performances. "I think he'll go to England or Spain".
He told Omnisport in March: "Virgil is a player who has experience in the top leagues".
- Brexit rebels tell Theresa May - Your EU divorce deal is dead
- Is Prince Archie named after Meghan’s cat?
- Judge suppresses video of Patriots' Robert Kraft at spa
- Next James Bond Film Suspends Production Amidst Daniel Craig Injury
- First look at Black Mirror Season 5 reveals Marvel, DC alums
- Tehran offered to pay jailed Iranian woman to spy on UK
- James Wan-Produced ‘Mortal Kombat’ to Shoot in Australia for New Line
- Tiger Woods says Bethpage Black can be 'mentally and physically
- Apple revamps TV app for Samsung TV support, more direct channel subscriptions
- USA believes Iran proxies may be behind tanker attacks, official says