"The club and I wanted Diego to stay", Simeone said ahead of a home meeting with Sevilla.
Los Rojiblancos confirmed on Tuesday evening that the French striker has informed the club that he will depart the club at the end of the season.
And in order to facilitate his departure from the club, the Frenchman will himself pay the club their asking price.
"I wanted to thank you for all the love you've given me in these five years, in which I've won my first important trophies with a club".
The France worldwide forward has announced that he will be leaving the club, with multiple reports suggesting a move to Spanish rival Barcelona is in the offing.
And according to Italian journalist Fabrizio Romano, Barca are already in negotiations with the World Cup victor over a summer move to the Nou Camp.
The 28-year-old Griezmann has a contract until 2023 with Atletico, but has a buy out clause of 120million euros ($134million) and has been the target of several approaches from La Liga rivals Barcelona.
"Talks ongoing with the player about the contract to finalize the deal (5 years)".
The forward bid his farewells in a heartfelt video posted on social media, saying: 'It's been an incredible five years; Thank you very much for everything, I take you in the heart'.
Griezmann scored a team-leading 133 goals in 252 games across all competitions.
He added: "I have to leave, I want to see new places and face new challenges, it's what I need now".
- Did Kim Kardashian just reveal the name of her fourth child?!
- Ex-Man United midfielder to remain on coaching staff
- Google Digital Wellbeing May Be Slowing Down Pixel Phones
- Meghan Celebrates Mother's Day With Pic Of Baby Archie
- Source says Barr is launching new look at origins of Russian Federation probe
- Conor McGregor Has Charges Dropped Over Phone Smashing Incident
- Donald Trump Praises Bill Barr for Investigating Russia 'Hoax' Origin
- Felicity Huffman Likely to Spend This Amount of Time in Jail
- Deepest ever dive finds plastic bag at bottom of Mariana Trench
- Facebook Still Leading Social Media Platform in 2019