Barr told the Senate Judiciary panel that his team will determine whether there was any improper "spying" on the Trump campaign in 2016, including whether intelligence collection began earlier than previously known and how many confidential informants the Federal Bureau of Investigation used.
According to the document, the investigation did not find any evidence of collusion between Russian Federation and Trump's campaign team.
The attorney-general has been accused of pandering to repeated claims by Mr Trump that his predecessor had a spy illegally placed into his campaign and that the Mueller investigation was politically motivated.
He added "There is a substantial investigation, which as I understand it, is nearing completion, being conducted by the Justice Department Inspector General". FBI Director Christopher Wray testified before a Senate panel last week that he wasn't aware of any improper spying, a comment Trump said he found "ridiculous".
As several sources noted, Durham had a history of investigating the investigators. "I think it's a great thing that he did it, I saw it last night, and they want to look at how that whole hoax got started", Trump told reporters, after insisting he never asked Barr to personally open the investigation.
During an interview with CNN's John Berman, Clapper was asked if the investigation is "warranted" now that the attorney general has assigned U.S. Attorney John Durham for the job.
Huber is expected to complete his review of the Clinton matters in the coming weeks and has handed off everything related to spying on the Trump campaign to Durham, the person said.
When Attorney General Jeff Sessions named Huber to investigate a host of GOP concerns, he said the US attorney would be working "in cooperation" with the inspector general, but some people who have been interviewed by investigators with the inspector general's office have seen no obvious indication of Huber's involvement, people familiar with the matter said.
Durham was unanimously confirmed by the Senate in 2018. He has previously investigated law enforcement corruption, the destruction of Central Intelligence Agency videotapes and the Boston FBI office's relationship with mobsters.
- Earth’s moon is shrinking and quaking, study says
- Sudanese security forces kill six in clashes with protesters
- M7.5 quake jolts Papua New Guinea, Tsunami warning issued
- Minor allegedly raped in Ganderbal,accused arrested
- Amazon Will Give Employees $10K to Start Delivery Businesses
- United States officer shoots dead woman heard on video saying 'I'm pregnant'
- Deepest ever dive finds plastic bag at bottom of Mariana Trench
- Mercedes surprise terminally ill child with Lewis Hamilton's F1 auto
- Facebook Still Leading Social Media Platform in 2019
- Three bodies found impaled with crossbow bolts at 'quiet' German hotel