According to the Indian Express, the girl was allegedly raped on Wednesday before iftar in the Sumbal area of Bandipora district, following which widespread protests broke out across the Valley on Sunday.
Thousands also protested in Srinagar and clashed with government forces.
A police spokesperson said clashes at multiple spots on the Srinagar-Baramulla national highway had caused injuries to 47 security personnel, including a Sashastra Seema Bal assistant commandant who was hit by a stone in the head. Official sources said the principal is in "protective custody" because police fear he may be harmed by angry villagers. "The accused has been arrested". Jammu and Kashmir Governor Satya Pal Malik directed the Special Investigation Team (SIT) to complete the investigation in rape case on fast track basis. "I also urge the society to strongly come out against the heinous crime notwithstanding their caste, creed and sectarian considerations", he said. He also ensured that the administration is looking into the matter seriously and the culprit will be brought to justice as soon as possible. The shocking abuse case has sparked a wave of protests in Kashmir.
The police said that the age certificate uploaded on social media is fake and that the accused appears to be an adult and is being treated as such.
"Utmost restraint was maintained by the forces on ground".
'One of the injured protestors is critically wounded, ' Pani said, adding that police had registered a separate case against the school principal and detained him for questioning. "However about seven miscreants got injured (and) are all stable".
"Action will be taken against the accused as per law", he said.
Leaders from across the political spectrum appealed for calm, with a top separatist leader, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq saying on Monday the incident was "a crime against humanity". "Times like these, Shariah law seems apt so that such paedophiles are stoned to death", Mehbooba Mufti, former Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir said in a tweet. A youth in Mirgund area was seriously injured in clashes with security forces.
- The Moon is cooling, shrinking and has moonquakes, Nasa finds
- United States readies new tariffs as Trump says he'll meet China's Xi
- Lenovo reveals the world’s first foldable PC
- SNL Mocks Senate Republicans for Not Being Anti-Trump in Cold Open
- California Couple Awarded $2 Billion in Roundup Trial
- Shahid Kapoor nails his act in Kabir Singh's trailer
- NBA Draft Lottery odds
- WhatsApp Beta is updated and adds another piece of Dark Mode
- Roma 2-0 Juventus: Hosts win to boost Champions League hopes
- Unai Emery lays out Arsenal plans ahead of Europa League final