According to ESPN Radio's John Weiner (Stugotz), a familiar face is a front-runner to become the next head coach at the University of MI.
University of MI spokesman Tom Wywrot confirmed Belein is leaving the school.
Reports Monday morning say that University of MI has lost their head basketball coach.
The Cavaliers have been using the term "culture driver" internally when discussing the possibility of hiring Beilein, sources said.
Weiner is reporting that according to his sources, former Detroit Pistons' head coach Stan Van Gundy is a front-runner to replace John Beilein at MI. "Beilein informed his administration on Monday morning of his decision to make leap to National Basketball Association, and is telling his players now".
He reportedly interviewed for the Detroit Pistons coaching job last season, but ultimately signed the extension with MI.
Beilein replaces Larry Drew, who finished last season after Tyronn Lue was sacked six games into the campaign.
Beilein succeeds Larry Drew in Cleveland. The team says they are in the rebuilding process.
Talks between the Cavaliers and Beilein escalated quickly over the weekend with a deal reached on Sunday.
- 'Game of Thrones' Coffee Cup Is a Scene Slayer
- More tariff looms over US-China trade talks
- Ireland bans USA anti-gay preacher Steven Anderson
- Aaron Rodgers Explains "Game Of Thrones" Cameo In New Video
- Eden Hazard’s Real Madrid move to be confirmed after Europa League final
- Sri Lanka blocks some social media platforms after violent incidents
- At Least Three People Shot Outside Trump Beach Resort in Florida
- Virgil van Dijk named Premier League Player of the Season
- Hollywood legend Doris Day dies at age 97
- Supreme Court rules Apple will face antitrust suit for its iPhone apps