Tim Conway, 85, passed away at 8:45 a.m.in the Los Angeles area on Tuesday, according to his rep Howard Bragman. Conway had been suffering from dementia and unable to speak following brain surgery in September.
Conway joined the cast of The Carol Burnett Show in 1975 but had already been making frequent - and fan favorite - guest appearances on the variety sketch show for eight seasons. The ensemble cast included Harvey Korman, Vicki Lawrence and Lyle Waggoner. While Conway was rarely a regular or even recurring presence on any show over the past 40 years, he brought the goods every single time he popped up on screen, be it on 30 Rock, Mad About You, Ellen, Newhart, or many many awards shows.
Conway also had a modest but steady movie career, appearing in such films as "The Apple Dumpling Gang". Conway made New York City home and went on to land a breakout role on McHale's Navy beginning in 1962.
"There's nobody funnier in the world, I don't think, than Conway", she said in an interview with the Television Academy Foundation published in 2012.
Conway is survived by his wife, a stepdaughter, six biological children and two granddaughters, People reports. In recent years, he booked guest spots on Mike & Molly, Glee, Hot in Cleveland and Melissa & Joey, among other series, and lent his voice to animated shows such as SpongeBob SquarePants, in which he voiced Barnacle Boy, and Dragons: Riders of Berk, in which he voiced Mulch.
Conway, who was born on December 15, 1933, grew up near Cleveland and after serving in the Army worked in Cleveland radio and developed comedy routines.
- Sanders, AOC Call for Cap on Credit Card Rates
- Roma 2-0 Juventus: Hosts win to boost Champions League hopes
- Dog disease that can be passed to humans confirmed in Iowa
- Tiger Woods sued over restaurant staffer's drunk driving death
- The Moon is cooling, shrinking and has moonquakes, Nasa finds
- Teva vows to fight price-fixing lawsuit
- Three bodies found impaled with crossbow bolts at 'quiet' German hotel
- Manchester City defend Premier League title, Liverpool second
- Brexit Party Peterborough by-election candidate Mike Green in awkward Radio 4 interview
- Rampant Bucks Are the Team to Beat After Domination of the Celtics