Ship and barge traffic is resuming in the Houston Ship Channel as cleanup efforts continue in the aftermath of a spill that sent thousands of barrels of gasoline blending product into the channel, officials said Sunday.
One barge carrying reformate, a fuel product, capsized and one other used to be almost sliced in half of in a collision with an oil tanker advance Houston on Friday, Might maybe well well honest 10, 2019.
The U.S. Coast Guard has set up an incident command and reported no injuries Friday night.
Friday's collision involved the tanker Genesis River and a tug transporting two barges carrying more than 2 million gallons of reformate, an oil-refining byproduct used to make gasoline. The gas product is colorless, flammable and toxic to touch, inhale or ingest. "However, air monitoring reports for Galveston County show no toxic levels at this time", said Galveston County Local Health Authority Dr.
"Once we have those vessels secured, we will work with the pilots and we will evaluate whether we can reopen the ship channel".
A U.S. Coast Guard-led response team has begun the hazardous task of siphoning about 1.7 million gallons of the fuel component remaining inside a pair of barges damaged during the May 10 incident.
Officials say the spilled product can be hazardous.
Water quality testing is being done along the bay, the statement said.
The Coast Guard hasn't revealed the cause of the collision.
- The Houston Ship Channel is closed as officials investigate the collision between a tank vessel and a barge. "The big question is how long that will take, which we don't know yet", he said.
The Center for Toxicology and Environmental Health is monitoring nearby communities.
There were 33 vessels waiting to move inbound and 27 waiting to exit on Saturday afternoon, the group said Saturday afternoon, with 91 vessels at anchor.
- Leeds win 1-0 at Derby in playoff semi-final first leg
- YouTuber James Charles Has Now Lost More Than 2.6 Million Followers
- At Least Three People Shot Outside Trump Beach Resort in Florida
- Veteran Lucha Libre Star Silver King Tragically Passes Away During Match
- Mavericks say Kristaps Porzingis involved in altercation in native Latvia
- Doris Day Dies: Actress, Singer, America’s Girl Next Door Was 97
- Support for new Brexit Party surges amid voter backlash
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Series Finale Trailer: The Aftermath of Daenerys’ Decision
- Google Pixel 3a XL: How To Get It
- Sachin Tendulkar reveals what makes MS Dhoni and Rohit Sharma special captains