The Boston Red Sox visited the White House Thursday afternoon to celebrate their October World Series win with President Donald Trump - an event a number of minority team members skipped in opposition to administration policies. The Puerto Rico native said he was disappointed in the federal government's relief efforts after Hurricane Maria left almost 3,000 people dead. After several players on the Philadelphia Eagles and Golden State Warriors publicly declared that they would skip White House ceremonies, Trump disinvited the teams.
"Each Red Sox player is a shining example of excellence living out an American sporting tradition that goes back many generations", Trump said. Every white player went, while nearly every person of color who wears a Sox uniform opted out, including Mookie Betts, Jackie Bradley Jr., Xander Bogaerts and David Price.
Cora stressed that he didn't want to make the visit about Puerto Rico.
"It's the White House", Martinez said. "If you want to go or you don't want to go, that's your decision".
The Red Sox defeated the Dodgers after five grueling games past year, securing their fourth World Series win.
Price said: "It was an insensitive tweet that needs to be seen by more people".
As for the decision of most players of color not to attend, Werner said, "We don't see it as a racial divide". He said they were all grateful to be there, also enjoying a visit to the Oval Office and a tour of the Lincoln Bedroom. I've used my voice on many occasions so that Puerto Ricans are not forgotten and my absence (from the White House) is no different. They called them "Socks" instead of "Sox".
"He's doing well this year, when it counts, he really does well", Trump said.
Boston has battled their way back by winning eight of their last ten, winning all three series since they were swept in a rain-shortened two-game set against the Tampa Bay Rays. He also poked fun at Trump for being a fan of their rivals, the New York Yankees.
Half of the team's starting lineup was missing at the White House event.
- Venezuela crisis: Guaido seeks United States military cooperation
- UAE says 4 ships targeted by ‘sabotage’ off its east coast
- Sophie Turner Blames Emilia Clarke for 'Game of Thrones' Coffee Cup Mishap
- 3-drawer chests recalled, 1 death reported | Instant Recall
- Wikileaks source Chelsea Manning freed from jail on contempt charge - for now
- Chris Attoh's wife 'shot dead' in the US
- 'Game of Thrones' gaming chairs available for die-hard fans
- Liverpool’s Van Dijk named EPL Player of the Season
- Samsung to announce new Galaxy Fold launch date in a few days
- McConnell: Trump Jr. Subpoena Shouldn't Concern President