At the time, the company said that it was aiming to roll out support for the Google Assistant in 2018.
While it might sound unbelievable, it does look like Sonos is telling the truth when it says these speakers will be the first on the market that allows users to choose which assistant to use within one system. "We think giving consumers choice is always the right decision, and we anticipate this philosophy will be adopted in the industry over time", he said.
Starting with the Sonos One and Beam, the new smart assistant capabilities will be enabled through a software update. We'll update the story once Google Assistant support hits the Sonos One and Sonos Beam, but if what the United States company says it's true, you should be able to start using Google's personal digital assistant no later than next week.
Sonos One is the company's not-quite entry-level speaker.
Google Assistant is just about ready to come to Sonos. You'll be able to talk to Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa straight through them, or set up Siri on your iPhone to control them. With multi-room audio, Sonos and Google Assistant are going to be a match made in heaven.
Having interoperability between different voice assistants could prove very lucrative for the company, especially if customers value flexibility in their smart home products as much as Sonos is clearly hoping. Especially those that are already invested in Sonos, or want a really good sounding smart speaker.
One lesson that Sonos has probably learned is that you shouldn't make promises, or rather announcements, you can't keep.
Interestingly, Sonos spent significantly less on marketing during the quarter, which helped the company to reduce overall costs.
- Juan Guaidó says he would 'probably accept' USA military intervention in Venezuela
- Rangers have huge disciplinary problem, says Celtic boss Lennon
- House Ways and Means Committee subpoenas Trump's tax returns
- President Nominates Shanahan for Defense Secretary
- Get Ready for Iceborne with a Monster Hunter
- Two French commandos killed freeing hostages in West Africa
- Alyssa Milano Calls for 'Sex Strike' to Protest Abortion Bill
- Swansea star close to being confirmed as Manchester United's first summer signing
- North Korea missile test violated United Nations resolutions, says Japan
- 9-year-old MI boy charged with murdering his mother