Bette Midler on Saturday expressed a similar sentiment, calling on the women of Georgia, which just passed a bill to severely restrict abortion access, to "stop having sex with men until these indignities are overturned".
'JOIN ME by not having sex until we get bodily autonomy back. Heartbeats are generally detected within six weeks of pregnancy, at a time where the majority of women are unaware they are pregnant and usually find out until much later. "Until women have legal control over our bodies we just can not risk pregnancy".
Among the most frequent criticisms of the "Sex Strike" concept was that abstinence is a cornerstone tenet of many anti-abortion movements.
And yet... seen in certain ways, Milano's sex strike may not be as progressive - or as effective - as one might think.
Within minutes, Alyssa's tweet had more than 15,000 likes and 6,000 retweets. In ancient Greece, the playwright Aristophanes wrote "Lysistrata", in which the title character persuades other women to deny their husbands of sex until they end a war.
Georgia's law won't be enforced until 2020, and is likely to be challenged in court based on the Supreme Court ruling in Roe v Wade that found unduly restrictive state regulation of abortion is unconstitutional.
Sound OFF on all of this social media chatter and more, all in the comments (below)... Embryos typically develop a heartbeat within the first five to six weeks of conception, but many women aren't aware of their pregnancies until after that narrow window has elapsed.
Alyssa's controversial request comes after Governor Brian Kemp of Georgia signed what's become known as the "fetal heartbeat" abortion bill into law on May 7. We stand with Stacey Abrams and the hardworking people of Georgia, and will donate 100% of our respective episodic fees for this season to two organizations leading the charge against this draconian law: the ACLU of Georgia and Fair Fight Georgia.
- WhatsApp to turn off support for Windows phones
- North Korea missile test violated United Nations resolutions, says Japan
- Iran Guards reject U.S. talks, cleric threatens carrier
- Rangers have huge disciplinary problem, says Celtic boss Lennon
- Bottas leads Mercedes one-two in Spanish GP practice
- Hollywood producers call for Georgia boycott over abortion law
- Get Ready for Iceborne with a Monster Hunter
- Rio to hold Grand Prix in 2020
- Two French commandos killed freeing hostages in West Africa
- Swansea star close to being confirmed as Manchester United's first summer signing