A zookeeper is recovering in the hospital after she was attacked Saturday morning by a tiger at the Topeka, Kansas zoo.
(Chris Neal/The Topeka Capital-Journal via AP, FILE) Sanjiv, the Topeka Zoo's new Sumatran tiger, roams around his exhibit after being allowed in it for the first time on Thursday Aug. 10, 2017 in Topeka, Kan.
Despite the attack, Wiley said there is no plan to euthanize the tiger, one among a rare, dwindling and endangered species.
Police are investigating a report of a person attacked by a tiger at the Topeka Zoo.
The zoo, which closed for 45 minutes, has since been reopened, she said.
Wiley also said that the tiger will not be euthanized for the attack. The tiger, named Sanjiv, tackled the trainer in its outdoor habitat.
According to Wiley, the staff member is "extremely well-qualified" and is the zoo's "primary tiger keeper".
Topeka Zoo director Brendan Wiley says the zookeeper was awake and alert when she was taken by ambulance to a hospital.
"Nothing is going to happen to our tiger", Ms Hadfield said.
The site reports that Shawnee County Dispatch were called just after 9.30am local time following reports of a tiger attack.
Zoo officials said they did not plan any repercussions for Sanjiv. "It's just wonderful our other staff was able to get the tiger to another area and leave her (the injured keeper)".
Topeka Zoo spokeswoman Molly Hadfield said the tigers have been put in 'holding'.
The tiger was placed into a holding area and the tigers would not be on display for the rest of the day, Hadfield said. Since the cubs' births, the zoo has been live-streaming their interactions with their mother.
- Nasa photo reveals UK as seen from the International Space Station
- Djokovic knocked out by Medvedev in Monte Carlo quarters
- Mike Huckabee, CNN Analyst Clash Over Sarah Sanders
- Irish premier hails centuries old friendship between Ireland and the US
- Zookeeper hospitalized after tiger attack at Topeka Zoo
- With Kim-Putin summit, Moscow eyes role in N. Korea
- At least 28 dead as tourist bus overturns in Portugal
- Teenage girl in Bangladesh burned alive after reporting sexual harassment
- Apple Working on New Tracking App, Will Launch a Tracking Tile
- Apple Opens Up About Recycling iPhones Via Robot