Auston Matthews snapped a scoreless tie in the third period as the Toronto Maple Leafs downed the Boston Bruins 2-1 on Friday to take a 3-2 lead in their best-of-seven Eastern Conference quarterfinal.
While killing a Mitch Marner delay of game call - the winger would've cleared the Green Monster at Fenway with his ill-advised swing to put a loose puck out of danger - Kapanen could've had his long awaited first of the playoffs then.
Not a good night for the refs, though the Leafs did outplay the Bruins for most of the night.
Either the Bruins or the Maple Leafs will have a chance to close out their first round series in front of big crowds in two countries Sunday.
Friday night, the teams return to TD Garden for an all-important Game 5.
Auston Matthews, who gets that team nickname for his Arizona desert roots, has had something to prove since being held to one goal previous year against the Bruins and Friday's fourth of the series was huge for the Leafs.
The first two periods of the game resembled hockey that's played in overtime. Once again, the Bruins couldn't convert, mishandling the puck in the offensive zone a few times.
"It was an fantastic play", Matthews said of Muzzin's fake and pass.
Boston pulled Rask with under three minutes to go, and Krejci got the home side within one with 44 seconds left, which stood after a review for offside.
"It's nice to get one back". A lot going through you mind there. However they couldn't take advantage of their chances in Game 5.
The Bruins pressed hard after the goal, created a couple of chances and were stopped by Leafs goaltender Frederik Andersen. Even the league officials weren't sure and there was a video review, which confirmed the puck did not go into the net.
- Border agents capture 1,800 illegal immigrants in one day
- Hashim Amla included in South Africa`s World Cup squad
- Oil Extends Gains After China Data
- Easter weekend: Club opening hours
- Yzerman to be named Red Wings general manager
- Ivanka Trump says she passed on World Bank job
- Hearn: Joshua-Miller In Doubt After Miller Fails VADA Test
- Google Play budget tries to control your spending habits
- South Africa church collapses killing 13 worshippers at Easter service
- Neal skates as extra at Flames practice