I've said all along this isn't going to change overnight and the next few years are going to be massive for us to get to the level where Barcelona and other teams are at the moment.
Selling and replacing the Englishman must be a priority this summer for United manager Ole Gunner Solskjaer, who outlined his transfer plans in his post-match press conference.
"You never know what can happen in football, they [United] have a very good team and they could have caused us problems, so we made sure we were focussed and played with intensity so we would make it through".
Barca goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen's only real stop was in the 89th minute from substitute Alexis Sanchez's header.
There was joy for Lionel Messi and anguish for Cristiano Ronaldo as Barcelona progressed to the semi-finals of the Champions League at the expense of Manchester United while Juventus were knocked out by Ajax.
Before United could recompose themselves, things went from bad to worse as a weakly-hit Messi effort squirmed under the dive of David De Gea to put Barca 2-0 up on the night and 3-0 ahead on aggregate.
They have a battle on their hands to finish in the Premier League's top four but Solskjaer is already envisioning a scenario in the future where United are on an equal footing with their conquerors on Tuesday night.
"United are unsafe and the result from the first leg is risky", he added.
Solskjaer said: "That's unfortunate with goalkeepers". We started well in the first 15 minutes, we felt "we've got something here" and then in four minutes they scored two goals.
In a previous era United were able to attract the world's best talents but, despite their track record of spending big in recent years, that may no longer be the case.
4 - Of the 70 previous occasions a side has won a Champions League knockout tie first leg away from home, just four have been eliminated (six per cent). If you give him space and time around the goal he'll create and score goals.
- Forza Street Launches For PC, Mobiles Later This Year
- Mobile might start selling the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3a
- Breakingviews - Apple Card puts customer first, Goldman second
- Watford vs. Arsenal - Football Match Report
- Man City manager Guardiola: We will beat Tottenham
- Leganes 1-1 Real Madrid: Zinedine Zidane's side held by neighbours
- Bernie Sanders Just Showed His Full-Throated Embrace of Capitalism
- Trump spends America's tax filing day in Minnesota
- Sudan military rulers meet U.S. envoy in Khartoum
- London climate change protest