Emergency responders arrived to find the woman, Sydney Monfries, lying on the floor of the Keating clock tower with trauma to her head and body.
"There are no words sufficient to describe the loss of someone so young and full of promise-and mere weeks from graduation", McShane wrote in the email. University officials said Monfries died after losing her footing and falling some 30 feet onto a landing below. The tower is off limits to students and university officials are investigating how the students gained access to the tower.
A Fordham spokesperson told the Daily News, "The student apparently climbed into the clock tower with friends". She was transported to St. Barnabas Hospital where she died later that day, CBS News reported. "I don't think they went up there with the intent thinking that it would be possible to fall".
'He told me some seniors [wanted to go] to the tower to take some pictures and have a good time before graduating, ' he said.
A 22-year-old college senior fell to her death in NY while climbing the stairs of an off-limits campus clock tower in the early hours of Sunday, authorities said.
Students said climbing the tower, touching the bell and taking photos of the sweeping views, were part of a senior-year "rite of passage", according to the paper.
Student Priscilla Morales filled in The New York Times, confessing that Fordham students recently started climbing the bell tower after hearing that a door was open or that there was a found passageway. Fordham University has responded to the tragedy by providing counseling to all students who seek it.
Christopher Rodgers, dean of students at Rose Hill, told The Ram in 2013 that since "the clock tower is rather unsafe, and therefore secured area of campus, students would likely face disciplinary action if they entered it".
"The thrill of danger is definitely a huge allure to going up", one student was quoted by the paper as saying.
"It's scary, it's unsafe and I really feel bad for the person", Emma Azizo, a Fordham student, told WABC.
A Portland, Oregon, native, Monfries was studying journalism at Fordham and was expected to graduate in May.
- IOS 13 may include system-wide dark mode and undo gesture
- Trump spends America's tax filing day in Minnesota
- Kyrie Irving dedicates Game 1 win to Marcus Smart
- Leganes 1-1 Real Madrid: Zinedine Zidane's side held by neighbours
- Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker’s Ending Was Changed During Filming
- Sudan military rulers meet U.S. envoy in Khartoum
- Tributes and pledges as North Korea marks founder Kim Il Sung's birthday
- Watch the moment when Notre Dame's burning spire topples over
- The attacks on Ilhan Omar reveal an America set against Muslims
- Honor 20 Series to launch in London next month