As many as three people were killed and three others injured on Sunday morning when a 19-seater plane crashed during takeoff at Lukla Airport in Nepal, officials said.
Tenzing-Hillary Airport is known as the gateway to Everest and is regarded the world's most unsafe because of its hard approach and short runway.
Another policeman died in hospital in Kathmandu, a police spokesman confirmed.
3 killed in aircraft accident near Everest: The wreckage of a Summit Air turbo-prop plane lying in between two helicopters on an airstrip at Nepal's Lukla Airport after the plane hit them during take-off yesterday.
Tribhuvan International Airport spokesperson Pratap Babu Tiwari said that S Dhungana, co-pilot of the plane, and Assistant Sub-Inspector Ram Bahadur Khadka, who was stationed at the helipad, were killed in the incident. "We are not sure about the cause of the accident".
KATHMANDU: A small plane hit two helicopters while taking off near Mount Everest on Sunday.
Lukla airport is used by climbers heading for the Everest region each and every year.
The airport - called the gateway to Mount Everest - is one of the world's most unsafe because of the short runway and the mountainous surroundings.
Both are private airline firms that cater to tourists and Nepalese in the country's remote areas. It is open only to helicopters and small fixed-wing aircraft.
However, Nepal airspace has a poor safety record and maintenance woes.
In February, a helicopter flying in bad weather crashed into a mountain in northeastern Nepal, killing all seven people on board, including the country's tourism minister.
- Israeli scientists create first-ever living heart ‘printed’ from human tissue
- The best reactions to last night's Game of Thrones premiere
- New York City's mandatory measles vaccine orders trigger lawsuit from parents
- Man City manager Guardiola: We will beat Tottenham
- Sudan military rulers meet U.S. envoy in Khartoum
- Strikers hold key for Man United at Barcelona in Champions League - Solskjaer
- IOS 13 may include system-wide dark mode and undo gesture
- 76ers Roster & Lineup vs. Nets; Joel Embiid Injury Status, Updates
- South Korean mobile network operators take first 5G phone orders
- Mobile might start selling the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3a