Tuesday, 16 July 2019
Latest news
Main » Sudan military rulers meet U.S. envoy in Khartoum

Sudan military rulers meet U.S. envoy in Khartoum

16 April 2019

Last week, Sudan's military ousted longtime President Omar al-Bashir following four months of street protests against his rule, then appointed a military council that it says will rule for two years or less while elections are organized. But his departure in a coup failed to satisfy the protesters, who have pushed for justice for Bashir-era officials.

At the news conference, the SPA said the military had promised to protect the sit-in. For more CNBC Africa is joined by Emery Nzirabatinya, an Expert on International Relations.

The United States, Britain and Norway urged the military council and other parties to hold talks over the country's transition to civilian rule.

Sudan's new leader, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, who replaced Awad Ahmed ibn Auf one day after ibn Auf assumed the job, oversaw the deployment of Sudanese troops in Yemen and had previously served as the commander of the army's ground forces.

"We are adhering to our commitment to the coalition, and our forces will remain until the coalition fulfills its goals", Hemedti said.

The RSF and the army attempted to remove roadblocks erected by protesters to shield the sit-in from attempts to break it up, eyewitnesses said.

The Sudanese Professionals Association, a group of teachers, engineers and doctors that initially spearheaded the campaign, has urged protesters to continue with the sit-in "until the revolution's demands are met". An officer is heard saying they came to "clean" the area.

The protesters, numbering about 5,000 with more arriving, chanted "Freedom, freedom" and "Revolution, revolution", and appealed to the army to protect them.

The SPA also demanded the confiscation of properties belonging to al-Bashir's National Congress Party and the release of soldiers who sided with their "revolution".

The SPA also called for the seizure of the party's assets and the arrest of its prominent figures.

On Saturday, Salah Abdallah Mohamed Saleh, better known as Salah Gosh, resigned as head of NISS.

"Afterwards, the SPA will be comprised of unions, and will be a guardian of democracy in Sudan", she added.

The protest outside the compound, which also includes the intelligence headquarters and the presidential residence, began on 6 April, after more than three months of protests triggered by a deepening economic crisis.

"Transparency" was also necessary to build this confidence, Siddiq said, explaining it was necessary for the military council to clarify the whereabouts of Bashir and "other senior former regime figures".

"The decision whether to extradite Bashir to ICC will be made by a popularly elected government and not the transitional military council", he said.

On Sunday night, the council announced the appointment of Lieutenant General Abu Baker Mustafa as the new head of NISS in a televised announcement in which it also announced the sacking of Khartoum's envoy to Washington Mohamed Atta.

Sudan military rulers meet U.S. envoy in Khartoum