Tighe could be excused for letting the emotion of the moment get to him after the race but there was a real symmetry about Winx's farewell win.
Sydney's leading trainer Chris Waller has his champion mare Winx spot on for her farewell appearance in the 2019 Group 1 $4m Longines Queen Elizabeth Stakes (2000m) on Day Two of The Championships at Randwick today.
On March 2 at Randwick, Winx set the record for most Group One wins with her 23rd, breaking the former Group One record held by retired Irish horse Hurricane Fly. Some 27 of her 36 career tallies have come at the metropolitan tracks, including 19 at Royal Randwick, which will be bursting at the seams Saturday afternoon when the Queen Elizabeth field is loaded just after 4 p.m. local time.
The win was also her 33rd in a row, with her last loss coming at the corresponding meeting in 2015 when she ran second in the Australian Oaks, a race won on Saturday by stablemate Verry Elleegant who already has the tag of the next champion for Waller. "Racing at her very best for four years, it's indescribable".
Straight after finishing Bowman was left in disbelief at the luck he had for being the man who was on the saddle throughout Winx's career. "(Winx) has captured the hearts of people all around the world".
Debbie Kepitis, a part-owner of Winx, said: "She is the most awesome, supreme athlete I've ever seen handled by the best coach".
Thanks girl - Hugh Bowman's face says it all. I am just so proud of her, I really am.
"I dare say if she had something else to give, she had more to give".
"There's been so many great horses and if she's even spoken about in the same sentence as Phar Lap and your other great horses, even in recent years Black Caviar, she was undefeated, and your Kingston Towns, everybody's got their favourites".
"I hadn't thought about winning a race like today ever in my lifetime". "Because I tell you there are times I haven't wanted to".
Waller has put Winx's imminent retirement to the back of his mind and has been concentrating on preparing his stable super star for her grand final appearance in the Queen Elizabeth Stakes.
- Tiger Woods claims first US Masters since 2008 in major comeback
- Chennai Super Kings win toss, opt to field
- Man arrested after boy falls from balcony at USA shopping centre
- Severe weather possible late tonight & Sunday
- Ocasio-Cortez Tells War Vet Congressman To Do Something About Domestic Terror
- Facebook accidentally included secret messages inside its Oculus Touch controllers
- GM Confirms 2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8 and Announces its Release Date
- Lego breaks record with image made up of Star Wars figurines
- Toronto's Nazem Kadri to meet with NHL Monday regarding Jake DeBrusk hit
- Georgetown Students Must Pay $27/Semester in Reparations for Slave Descendants