The extraordinary incident became even more freakish once the ball had richocheted off the tee marker and come to rest only a couple of metres away, still on the teeing ground.
Johnson teed up his ball, squared up his stance and took a practice swing.
Johnson had fun with the incident, giving people on the tee box permission to laugh because, as he said, "That's embarrassing". "I actually hit a really good tee shot after that, so I think I recovered nicely".
"Oh sh*t", was the immediate reaction from Johnson, known universally as perhaps the golfer least likely to drop a four letter word on the course.
But even at the pinnacle of the sport, it seems that comical errors can be made, as Johnson has proved at Augusta during the Masters.
Luckily, the 43-year-old emerged unscathed - pride not withstanding - as no penalty was applied and he went on to birdie the 13th hole.
But Johnson is adamant he will not the suffer the same misfortune on Saturday, as he said: "I don't think I could do it again if I even tried".
And then there was a stand-up comedy routine - two, actually - after Kisner and Johnson completed their rounds, Kisner finishing off a 1-over-par 73 to sit at 2 under entering the weekend, and Johnson also shooting a 73 and sitting at 3 over after two rounds.
- Google and Huawei settle over to pay for Nexus
- ‘Fishy’ charges facing ex-Obama counsel may be ‘political’: Ex-DOJ official
- A Number of GeForce GTX Graphics Cards Will Now Support Ray Tracing
- Heartbeat bill passes and legal battle set
- OPEC projects to tighter oil market in 2019
- Kevin Durant and Patrick Beverley ejected from Game 1
- Respawn co-founder Jason West is the next Epic exclusive
- GM Confirms 2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8 and Announces its Release Date
- M27 - MI v RR
- Shots Fired After Ukrainian Ambassador's Car Rammed in Lawless London