A preliminary accident report into last month's fatal crash in Ethiopia found that faulty sensor readings and multiple automatic commands to push down the nose of the Boeing plane contributed to the crash, leaving the crew struggling to regain control.
Boeing 737 Max 8 and 9 jets have been grounded in the United States since March 13, when the FAA concluded that it needed to investigate "the possibility of a shared cause" between the two crashes.
American Airlines had lowered one of its first quarter indicators in light of the Boeing 737 MAX 8 planes being grounded, along with the partial U.S. government shutdown and technical challenges. But operators of the grounded Boeing 737 MAX are facing a different problem: scarce planes and booming demand.
CNBC reported Boeing said Thursday it has completed 96 flights with the new Max software fix.
It earlier removed the Max from its flight schedules through June 5. The FAA have convened a meeting on April 12 with safety representatives of the three USA -based airlines that have the Boeing 737 MAX in their fleets, as well as the pilot unions for those airlines.
So far airlines have said it is too soon to estimate the impact of the MAX grounding beyond the first quarter, but the extended cancellations signal that they do not expect a quick return of Boeing's fast-selling jetliner.
American explained on its website that not all flights previously scheduled on a MAX would be cancelled, because the airline planned to use other aircraft for some flights.
Low-priced carrier Southwest, which unlike its rivals only flies Boeing 737s, had estimated $150 million in lost revenue between February 20 and March 31 alone due to MAX cancellations and other factors.
The airline said it will bring the Max aircraft back on line as spares to supplement its operations once it is receritfied. "They can see it, but they can't meet it", said Mike Trevino, spokesman for Southwest Airlines Pilots Association and an aviation industry veteran. Let us know in the comments!
- Respawn co-founder Jason West is the next Epic exclusive
- Tiger Woods seals fifth Masters title and 15th major
- OPEC projects to tighter oil market in 2019
- PM Modi addresses rally in Kathua, Jammu and Kashmir
- Severe weather possible late tonight & Sunday
- Brexit can not define us, says UK PM's deputy as ratings dip
- Facebook accidentally included secret messages inside its Oculus Touch controllers
- GM Confirms 2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8 and Announces its Release Date
- Shots Fired After Ukrainian Ambassador's Car Rammed in Lawless London
- Donations pour in for boy thrown from Mall of America balcony